Problems with the Taylor K-2006

I purchased a Taylor K-2006 pool testing kit and I'm having problems with testing the free chlorine. I add the DPD powder to turn the pool water pink and then when I add theFAS-DPD titrating reagent is supposed to turn it clear. When I do this it makes it a dark red. I'm following the directions to a tee. Any ideas why? I have done other tests and they have come out fine.

The powder is R-0870. The drops for the FC test are R-0871. After it turns clear, you add the R-0003 reagent to turn it pink again. If you do them out of order, that's probably why things are acting weird.

TF100 instructions, same exact chemicals as your K-2006

I wonder if the reagents labels are wrong because I double checked and I am using the correct reagents. I even had my wife look at it. The R-0870 powder just 2 scoops and the R-0871 drops. When I put the R-0871 drops in it the more I put in it the more red it becomes. Should i try to return the kit or maybe try to get a different bottle of R-0871?

Your fc is probably very high. That could cause the reactions you're seeing. Try three full scoops of powder and then add the 0871 until the color disappears.

What is your estimate of the current fc level?

Also, try testing your tap water to see what that shows.

It's probably real high. I had trouble with algae not wanting to clear so I socked it to it. My CYA was at 200 so I had to go high. Now my pool is clear so I am going to try to bleed and feed with fresh water to get my CYA down. This is what I get for listening to the pool store.

The high fc partially bleaches out the 0870. The 0871 neutralizes the fc, thereby reducing the bleaching effect causing the sample to get darker. The test should yield good results. You will probably need more than 50 drops of 0871 the make the sample go colorless.

How much chlorine have you added? Your fc might be over 50. Are you using the 10 ml sample size?

Try testing your tap water to see if the test is working properly.

Also, try diluting the pool water by mixing it 50/50 with distilled water and then testing the mixed sample for fc and multiply the result by two.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I ended up adding 40 lbs of shock to finally clear the algae (10 lbs a day for 4 days). I new the CYA was high from my test strips I was using at the time. So while shocking I ordered the Taylor K-2006 and waited for it to arrive so I could get an accurate reading.
What "shock" did you add? Cal-hypo, Dichlor, or Trichlor? Besides astronomical FC, you may now have astronomical CH or CYA readings or dangerously low pH and TA.

Assuming 40 lbs of 65% calcium hypochlorite in 17,000 gallons, you have added about 182 ppm fc. It's probably not worthwhile trying to test until the level drops significantly. If you do want to test, I would recommend using 1/4 pool water mixed with 3/4 distilled water and multiply the result by 4. Use the 10 ml sample size, where every drop of r-0871 is 0.5 ppm.

I also recommended doing a partial drain and refill to get the cyanuric acid level down. Always leave at least twelve inches in the shallow end.

I'm not sure of the type. I purchased it at Sams. Thursday when I tested it with the new test kit the CYA was at 200. It was already high because the test strip I was using tested it at 100. That was all it registered. I haven't added anything since Thursday. The PH is good. It was reading a 7.4.

To lower the CYA you'll need to dump almost 80% of the water. Might have been cheaper to do the water first and treat it second :(:(

With a FC over 10 or 15ppm the PH reading is likely not accurate. You should test it again when you get the FC under 10.

Your PH will not read right with the high FC.

Time to drain and replace some water. Depending on your water table you will need to drain and refill several times. Make sure to leave at least some water in the shallow end.

Good luck!

Kim

That can work and might be your best choice if you have a high water table that could risk floating your liner. A partial drain and refill would be more effective.

Note: Never drain below your water table, and always leave at least twelve inches in the shallow end.

If you added dichlor, you added 156 ppm fc and 142 ppm cya.

Note 2: Your fc is probably beyond the range of test. Even if it does work, it might take over 300 drops of R-0871.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.