milky/cloudy water

Jun 3, 2008
West Grove, PA
I can seem to clear my pool this year. 10K Gal, Vinyl AG.

FC=25
CC=.5
PH=7.2
TA=100
CYA=100

I have used 5lbs of powdered trichlor shock since opening about 2 weeks ago. It went from green to white in just over 24 hrs a week or two back, but I cant seem to get the white cloudiness to clear out.

Thoughts? I guess CYA seems high, not sure if the powdered shock did that or not.

If you are using Dichlor or Trichlor, Then yes it raised your CYA which is now way too high. You should replace at least half the water and then follow the SLAM process using only liquid chlorine.

Sadly, I have to agree with Jason ^^^

25 FC seems like it would be high enough, but Shock level for 100 CYA is 39 FC :shock:

And the reality is, the way the graduations get closer on the CYA tube, that a reading of 100 CYA might actually be 120 or 150. Recheck that using the dilution method in Extended Directions, post 8, step 9 so that if you do drain, you drain enough. Remember to leave a foot or so in the shallowest part of the pool so the liner doesn't shift.

If there is any debris in the bottom, you want to remove it. You probably don't have a multiport valve that will allow you to vacuum to waste, but others have had success both lowering the water level and vacuuming by setting up a siphon with the vacuum hose and sucking the water up from the bottom whisking away any sludge hiding down there.

OK, here's the update. I think I am winning. As of today:

FC=3
CC=0
PH=7.4
TA=70/80 (depending on definition of "turning red")
CYA=70ish

Water has cleared slowly, but there is progress. Just now, it looks the best it has so far. I'll just maintain from here.

Get that FC back up to shock level of 28ppm and keep it there. Sounds like great progress.

In all of the tests, you should add drops until the last one causes no further color change, and then do not count that last drop.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.