Is this pump up to the job?

Apr 8, 2013
Battle Creek, MI
Now that I have the new Hayward gas heater plumbed into the system and the solar panels are no longer lying in the grass, I am considering my options for the solar. I had considered leaving them and plumbing them along with the gas heater, but I wasn't sure how that would work. If I put them before the gas heater, then the heater would sense the water much warmer than it actually is in the pool. Or is that OK? I also don't want to keep killing the grass and mowing around them, and the nearest (flat) roof is about 25 feet away from the pump.

I do, however, still have the Intex 635T pump, rated at 1,500 GPH still sitting here. Can I put that pump on the other side of the pool, much closer to the flat roof upon which I would place the solar panels, and have a separate system for them? Will this 25 gal./min. pump raise the pool water 8-9 feet vertically to the flat roof and back again? Or am I way off base and should consider nothing but using the Hayward pump either pre- or post-gas heater? Any advice would be appreciated!

If you have the proper amount of flow to the solar panels, the return flow should only be a degree or two warmer than the pool water. It if supports a remote firemans switch you could probably also set the onboard thermostat a bit warmer than your desired temperature, then add a solar controller with a aux relay connected to the remote firemans switch on the heater and let the thermostat on the solar controller control both. There are probably other more effective schemes you could use. Alternatively you could run dual heating loops, etc.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.