Divots in vinyl pool liner

May 23, 2014
Trenton, NJ
Hello, I had a new above ground pool installed May 10th if this year (1st time pool owner). Due to the weather, the pool was filled with water and sat untouched for around 3 weeks (just did bleach and stabilizer to raise cya). Now that the weather is nice we started going in the pool. I noticed 3 or 4 large divots on the bottom floor of the pool. They are pretty big and I would describe them as the size of the divot a softball would make if stepped on in sand. The rest of the pool is only somewhat smooth with a few uneven parts. Does anyone know what these are from or if this is a big problem. I'm not too concerned about the look of them, I just don't want this to be a sign of upcoming problems.
Also, when walking around pool now, areas if the floor still feel a little gushy, which I thought was weird since the pool has been filled with water over a month now.

Two points to make.
1. Our yard does hold water and the soil has a decent amount of clay in it
2. After the pool install I had scheduled for landscapers to fill around pool with dirt and river rock, however it rained the next few days and landscape wasn't put in until 3 days later.

Also, not sure if this is related, but, I noticed when looking at my skimmer that the water level of the pool went down about an inch the last week. I found this odd because we had a lot of rain this week. Not sure if it's a leak or typical of water evaporation here in NJ at sound 80degrees. I don't see any bubbling or anything.

Thanks for all the help!

our new doughboy pool that was installed a few weeks back has divots too, and it still has areas in the pool floor where when you step, you still will leave a small indention. We waited for a week before swimming just like our PB said to.

Did they tamp your sand or just trowel it? They just troweled mine and told me when I asked that "tamping was not necessary as after it sits for a week with 100K lbs of water on it, it will compact." :rolleyes:

and I stupidly believed him. I think your problem (and mine) is from the PB being lazy and not tamping the sand down. :mad:

the bad news: Only way to fix is to drain, pull liner, redo sand, replace liner.

the good news: its only cosmetic and wont hurt anything. a lot of people on here complain about their pool floor divots.

im just going to ignore it and enjoy swimming. :party:

as far as water loss, on my old 18 ft intex I lost 100-200 gallons a week depending on how hot it was outside and how much I ran the waterfall fountains. Im sure my water loss will be higher for this pool with over dbl the surface area. Id check the plumbing, and if no leaks, I would assume its from evaporation and splashing.

Those divots will bug you more in your sleep than cause any damage to the pool itself.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.