One Darn Good Rub

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
Note to Sean: Maybe we should have a rub/sauce section? Or add it to the equipment section, maybe?
OK, if you follow the link for Sean's contest for the thermometer, they advertise a rub from a company called "John Henry's." Dang that's some good stuff, my brother and I always try to beg off some free samples from them at the trade show, and they sell their booth at the end of the show...If you're looking for some good rub, this is the stuff. They even set up a grill in their booth to give free samples of meat with their rub, my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

Of the John Henry rub, the one I like the best is their Pecan. Out here you can find it at BBQ galore.

Right now I am fond of a rub called Yardbird, made by a competiton team call Plowboy's BBQ. Todd, makes some really good stuff.

I also have stocked up on Ddogs, Maple and Apple rub.

BBQ is a little hobby of mine, as the family (Me, My Wife and our two boys 10 & 7) do competition bbq under the team name of Toys 4 BBQ'N. We have been doing it for a little over a year now and have about 7 events under our belts.

Fun stuff

I am partial to a rub I found at Walmart, Durkee brand St. Louis style chicken and rib rub. Really good stuff. I work with a man who uses Wyler's beef boullion granules, but I found them to be too salty for us.

Start making your own rub and you'll soon turn up your nose at the prepared ones. Here's one I like that you can start with. Experiment from there (or someone else's homemade rub that sounds good) and you'll very quickly get better results than from any commercially prepared rub.

1 C turbinado sugar
1/3 C kosher salt
1 Tbsp ground red pepper
3 Tbsp dried onions
3 Tbsp freshly ground black pepper
3 Tbsp garlic powder
3 Tbsp ground cumin
1 Tbsp cayenne pepper
2 Tbsp celery seed
1 Tbsp Old Bay
2 Tbsp ground yellow mustard

Combine all in a food processor and pulse several times to mix.

I made this rub last fall, and use it for pork and chicken. Next time I make it I will use a sugar with a smaller crystal, and onion powder instead of the flakes, as those ingredients did not get small enough to fit through the holes in my shaker....

yummy!

I agree with Kurt, your own rubs aregreat and I do make my own.

However, as I began competing my thought (Right or Wrong) is to take out as many variables in an effort to improve my scores. I use good quality rubs and sauces and work on taste, tenderness and presentation. Once I have that down, I might go back to making my own stuff.

That said, the stuff I am using is really good and the bulk deals I get from the guys make it hard to justify making my own. It is just plain cheaper to buy it. :-D

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.