Pool Renovation, Mburg, WV, With Pics.

Hey everyone.

First things first, I'm so glad I found this forum before my pool is up and running, Thank you, you guys are awesome. :thumleft:
We've never owned a pool before so all this is very new to us. I've been reading lots and lots! Been through pool school multiple times, even played with the pool math calculator (I didn't break it :D hehe) and printed some stuff for future/quick reference.

Quick background: We live in Martinsburg, WV. My hubby and I purchased a 1960's house last August. The house has a 16 x 36 Grecian 22,000 gallon IG vinyl pool, installed in 1981 by Flohr pools. It was not in good shape, torn liner, swampy water, broken coping... Not knowing any better, we went ahead and drained the pool and took out the liner (I know, very very bad idea!) we got lucky and didn't end up with the walls collapsing etc etc... (Hindsight is a wonderful thing, shame we don't possess it!) However, since it's stood open to the elements since Oct 2013 we are now having to replace the entire vermiculite bottom. :brickwall:

Fast forward to this year, after numerous phone calls/appointments later... We are 8 days from starting the reno on it (weather permitting). Exciting times :D :bounce: Is it done yet? hehe...

Here's what's happening...
Entire replacement of the vermiculite bottom, new coping, wall foam and new liner. Plus installation of the new equipment.
Been told it will take 3 or 4 days to complete the work. We're also getting the water trucked in, city water from I've been told.

We've bought new Hayward equipment...
Hayward Pro-Series 24" 300lbs Sand Filter (S-244T), 1 HP Haywood Dual Speed Super Pump (SP2607X102S).
I also have the TFT-100 XL with Speed Stir and Auquabot Xtreme Robotic Cleaner.

I know y'all love pics so here they are...

It started out like this...

Opened it to this...

Yeah this...

Ripped liner...

It gets worse...

Pulling out the liner...

As it stands now...

Worst crack in the deck around the skimmer...

Guess the light leaked at some point too...

Re: Newbie Pool Owners ~ Pool Renovation WV, With Pics.

Keep adding pics so we can follow your journey!

And welcome from SWPA!

Oh yeah. I forgot to add a pic of the new liner!... Neo tile by Kayden manufacturing LLC.

sy4aheve.jpg

Schroedz.

oooooh... I like that liner! I've never seen that one! Can't wait to see it full and complete!

That's the first one my eyes were drawn to in the book... It's a new design for 2014 from what I was told... I'm very excited to see it with the water in it too! ;)

The reno work starts June 23rd (weather permitting) so hopefully it'll be dropped in and full by the 26th/27th.

Lacey... Thank you hunnie... Yeah I don't think there's too many of them around yet with it being new for 2014 and I like it because it's unusual. Hubby and kids wanted me to go for a more main stream one... Hmmm, yeah that's just not me lol :rockon:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Thanks Jeniloohoo. It does look a lot better than in the photo. The woman's office didn't have good lighting lol. The bottom is lighter than the pic shows.

Thanks for watching too. Work is scheduled to start on June 23rd still. Weathers looking pretty good for next week but I'm keeping a close eye on it!

Also got this in the mail the other day.
uhy2urym.jpg

Schroedz.

Small world fellow West Virginian! LOL I am originally from Elkins. :) I don't think we would have ever thought about a pool or knew anyone that had one up there! LOL We usually wound up at the Cheat River! hahahaha

Hey Waldog. Yes I am. I'm originally from the UK. Yeah there's at least 5 that I know of on my street lol. Ahhhh ok lol. My elderly neighbor across the street is kind enough to let my family and I use her pool. It rarely gets used and I think it's wildly out of balance! Might run over there with my new test kit and give it a whirl. Practice for when mines fixed lol ;)

Schroedz.

Newbie Pool Owners ~ Pool Renovation WV, With Pics.

Ok so I got bored and decided to try out my TFT 100 test kit today with the help of my 12 year old son. He loved helping by reading the instructions with me and lining up the drops, he thought it was awesome the way the tests change color!

Using the faucet water, these are the results I got.

FC 1.5

CC .0

PH 7.2

CH 225 (vinyl liner)

TA 110

CYA 0

The speed stir is awesome!! It made it so much easier to do the tests.

Can't wait for Monday to get here. That's when the renovation work starts. Should take 3-5 days to complete! Yay! :)

Schroedz.

So today the hubby's started chipping out what's left of the old vermiculite. The repair guy said he'd give us a discount for any work we do or help with. Bonus!

The repair guy and crew should be here to start the work tomorrow..... Can I get excited yet? :p :D

Schroedz.

Really need some help here please.

So today we were removing the old vermiculite ready for when the repair guys come tomorrow and we found this black pipe that comes out under the pool wall and was under the vermiculite that we just removed. Now I'm convinced the pool must of had a main drain at some point. But one side of the skimmer has a plug in it that we can't get out. Check out the pics and see if you can help me figure it out. Oh and we thought the pool had a sand bottom, it does but under the sand, it seems to have a vermiculite bottom too, which the black pipe goes under. Talk about confused!

9aguqabu.jpg

asytageh.jpg

Schroedz.

Ughhhh. So freaking mad right now. Two different people have given me the same start date (today) for the work and one call was from the owners wife on Friday. Now I call them today and get told there's been a miscommunication and work will be starting tomorrow now.

Apparently the service manager, the owner and 4 guys will be coming out. Am I going to have a fun chat with them!

Sorry just needed to vent as I'm so frustrated right now.

Schroedz.

Anyway. They turned up nice and early this morning and pretty much got straight to work after an extended chat with me to make sure what was/is being done.

They cut out the old coping and got all the old vermiculite out if the bottom. They done a great job of clearing up after themselves and they are a nice bunch of guys.

Here's today's pics. Hopefully they will be back tomorrow to start on the bottom and to figure out a way to resurrect the old light niche. It's been filled with cement!

esugeta9.jpg

eqaga7ad.jpg

Schroedz.

So they arrived a bit late this morning but got straight to work. They moved some brick dust from one side of the pool to the other and picked up the pile of old vermiculite and sand they left behind the other day.

They weren't here long because the other crew who were on another job had their truck breakdown, which left them trapped on that job site. My crew at least done what they could and waited for 10 tonne of brick dust to be dropped off. But they may be back later today!

Here's today's progress.

guje4a8e.jpg

eny8arah.jpg

juzynyna.jpg

Schroedz.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.