Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: what do i use for Stabilizer

1. Back To Top    #1

what do i use for Stabilizer

I read pool school and tested my pool water.
    Went to the pool calculator and enter the info.
    My FC is 0 and it said add 85 oz of bleach.
    MY PH is 7.5 so i do nothing.
    My TA is 93 so i add 65 oz of baking soda.
    My CH is 215 so i add 68 oz of calcium chloride from lowes
    My CYA is 0 and it said add 54 oz of stabilizer.
    My question is if i use bleach, baking soda and calcium chloride for
    the other chem. what do i use use for the stabilizer.

I read a lot and couldn't find it.

Thanks,

2. Back To Top    #2

Re: what do i use for Stabilizer

If there is a Home Depot near you thats where we got ours from. Its called Stabilizer and in the pool section with all the other stuff.
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

3. Back To Top    #3

MAKE SURE you put the stabilizer in a sock and throw the sock in your skimmer basket. Dont backwash your filter for about a week because it can take that long for your CYA to get into your water.
    If you have a vinyl liner your TA looks fine to me. A little on the low side but if it were me I wouldnt worry about.

As far as your FC, I myself personally dont like half used jugs of bleach laying around so if the calcullator calls for 85 oz as your does I would just pour 1 96 oz jug in. The chlorine is going to burn its self off in the long run. JMO

It would also help a lot if you put your type of pool, gallons and equipment in your signature so when we reply to questons we can see what were dealing with and help you better.

Good Luck !!
    Les
    Don't have a pool right now. Just sharing what I have learned over the years!
    Helpful Links:
    Pool School,Pool Calculator,Cl/CYA Shock Chart,TF Test Kit
    Doing BBB and loving it!

4. Back To Top    #4

Actually your TA is within an acceptable range, so there really isn't a need to raise it. I would suggest posting your pool stats before adding anything other than the CL.
    Nicole

21' AGP (10,400g)
    Hayward PowerFlo Matrix dual-speed 1HP pump, 75 sq ft Waterway cartridge filter
    4G Liquidator, Aquabot POOL ROVER S2-40

5. Back To Top    #5

I bought CYA at Walmart; not all Walmart's have it. Before you buy "Stabilizer," make sure that it's CYA only and doesn't have a bunch of other chemicals in there.

6. Back To Top    #6

CYA is cyanuric acid, also called stabilizer or conditioner. It is only sold by pool stores and in the pool departments of some big box stores.

You don't need to hit all of the numbers suggested by my Pool Calculator exactly. Take a look at this article for suggested ranges for different kinds of pools.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School