How to decommission an indoor below ground pool?

Jun 14, 2014
Birmingham, UK
Hello folks,
we have an 8m x 4m indoor pool which is fully functioning. It has an inconvenient semi-circular area in the pool from one long side which reduces the volume in an really inconvenient way.
A good 18 months ago we emptied the pool in order to replace the leaking roof.
We haven't filled the pool since or really missed using it. Which, in combination with the fact that a tiny crack has appeared around the entire semi circle, and our need to reduce our fuel bills, means we want to decommission the pool and turn the lovely, large room into a games room for the kids for the few years remaining before they go to university.
We might want to use the pool in that room at some point in the future, so if there is an option to decommission the pool temporarily rather than permanently, without spending a ton more money, then that's our preferred option.
So we want to put a new floor in the room.
What could we do to achieve this? Avoiding spending a whole bunch of money.
Thanksemptypool.jpg

Welcome to TFP,

Not flush with any ideas at the moment, but others will be along to offer suggestions I'm sure. I would try to choose something that would allow resurrection in future should you decide to have it back.

You could build a temporary floor flush with the top of the pool out of wood, removable later when you decide you want the pool back.

That crack you see might be through the plaster only, and as such would be just a patch job to repair.

Welcome to TFP :wave:

This is the first time I remember seeing this question!

Someone will be along with ideas.

It does appear that you have kinda' solved the problem, since you are already using the pool as a band room :smile:
except for that first step :shock:

Thanks for the welcomes. Playing music in there is just one function we could use the room for, but I must confess that I enjoy plying drums in there more than I enjoyed swimming.
Anyhow, could the wooden decking be self supporting or would we have to support it via vertical/diagonal beams which rest on the pool floor?

Wood framed floor would give you the option of re-using later. One thing to remember using wood framing this space would need to be vented. Not venting could lead to mold, and wood rotting.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.