New Member with a low PSI question....

Jun 14, 2014
Erie, PA
Hello,
New member here with a question about low psi reading at the filter, after having all new lines put in.
I have a 15K gal inground pool, vinyl liner, with a 3/4 HP Hayward Maxflo II pump, and a 200 sqft cartridge filter. The pump and filter are two years old.

Over the winter, I lost about 1/2 the water in the pool. After leak testing, the crew determined at least one line leaking and a bad liner. Before the pool could be tested, I had to have it filled and running for the test crew. At startup with a clean cartridge I was reading 10 psi, which is the reading I've always gotten. Since the pool is at least 25+ years old (pool came with house and we've been here 13 years) I decided to have all the lines and the liner replaced. Fast forward-

After all work was completed and pool filled, I fired it up. Filled pump basket with water before starting, but noticed it was taking much longer than normal to fill up and I shut it down. I found that the crew had left a plug in the skimmer....hidden by the basket. I was not amused. Removed plug and restarted, everything ok, except PSI reading at 5 instead of 10. Also noticed that stream wasn't quite as strong as before when opening relief valve. Checked everthing I knew to check, looked for junk clogging the pump as best I could, made sure filter cartridge was seated and no obstruction between pump and filter, and replaced the gauge....still 5psi.

Called pool guy, he didn't consider it a big deal, but agreed to come check it out. He brought his own gauge and still got 5psi. Stuck his hand in front of the returns and said I've got "plenty of flow". After a lot of head scratching, he said he was stumped and that the only thing he could figure was a torn filter cartridge. I've got two cartridges and think it would be a huge coincidence if they are both torn....His final verdict was, it's not a big deal and not to worry about it.
But everything I've read in my internet searches indicates a problem somewhere.
So am I making a big deal out of nothing ? Is it normal to have such a big difference ? This is really bugging me........

Okay, let me put it this way. Has anyone ever even heard of a situation like this before ?

If I eliminate all other causes of a low psi reading, the only thing left would be an obstruction in the new lines going to the pump.

Is that even likely ? They used the flex pvc that comes in rolls............

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.