Concerned of bleach being consumed

Gasolina

Sep 7, 2013
Tarano Lazio Italy
Have been using the BBB system for a year. Concerned re amounts of bleach being consumed. Shocked and brushed pool 2 days ago as read could be algae problem, but still using what I imagine to be large amounts of bleach daily to maintain FC level.
Could someone give me a rough guide as to what would be normal daily bleach consumption please?

Thanks to anyone who can help me. Worried and frustrated.

23775G, i/g, vinyl, 1 speed pump,
Lazio, Italy
FC 6
Ph 7.8
TA 100
CH 280
CYA 60
Temp 81

In general we say 2-3ppm of Chlorine is normal to drop per day. The best way to determine if it's algae consuming your chlorine is to preform an OCLT. What test kit are you using for your testing?

I'd also like to Welcome you to TFP!

In general we say 2-3ppm of Chlorine is normal to drop per day. The best way to determine if it's algae consuming your chlorine is to preform an OCLT. What test kit are you using for your testing?

I'd also like to Welcome you to TFP!

Thanks for your response. We have La Motte FAS/DPD Commercial 7 Kit. The pool water looks perfect, but the other day when brushing I thought there might be the beginnings of algae - though it could have been dust from the storms we have had, so I shocked it according to the levels recommended by Pool Calculator as I had read that heavy use of bleach can be a sign. We are using between 5 and 7 litres a day to maintain FC level.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your help. We are using upwards of 10 US pints per day to maintain FC level. Everything else is stable.

Here's a useful thread:

http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/77643-How-much-chlorine-do-you-put-in-daily

For a pool your size, I believe "normal" would be somewhere around 2/3 of a gallon per day. Enough that it's worth looking around for best prices and stocking up when it goes on sale.

Do an OCLT and see if you're losing FC. If you are, you'll need to SLAM the pool.

Welcome to TFP!

"Shocked and brushed" sounds like all you did was a one-time heavy dose of bleach. In essence, you started the SLAM - that's Shock Level And Maintain - but you didn't maintain. If you have algae, even if the water is just hazy but not green, it will take a couple days of devoted testing and re-dosing to kill it all off. Did you even run an overnight loss test to tell you when you were through? You need to follow the SLAM instructions explicitly if you want absolute success. That can take a lot of bleach.

tfp-jugs.jpg

Thanks Richard. I do look after the pool regularly and well, as with my teeth! However, in the 7 years we have had the pool, neither of us realised we had to maintain the shock level, we just carried on brushing/ hoovering and filtering. When I shocked the pool it was to the correctly adjusted level according to our CYA level on the Pool Calculator. I intend doing the OCLT test tonight and tomorrow morning and will slam if necessary. One further question... We are having huge amounts of rain which tends to lift the Ph level. Will it matter if that happens overnight tonight? Thanks again. Caroline

how much bleach are you using daily? im only about 3000 gallons less than you, and I average a 2 ppm loss daily, for 60 oz of bleach, or 1/2 of a 121 oz gallon. Once in awhile, ill only lose 1.5 ppm and use 45 oz, and every now and then it will spike to 2.5 ppm and cost me 75 oz that day.

- - - Updated - - -

"Shocked and brushed" sounds like all you did was a one-time heavy dose of bleach. In essence, you started the SLAM - that's Shock Level And Maintain - but you didn't maintain. If you have algae, even if the water is just hazy but not green, it will take a couple days of devoted testing and re-dosing to kill it all off. Did you even run an overnight loss test to tell you when you were through? You need to follow the SLAM instructions explicitly if you want absolute success. That can take a lot of bleach.

tfp-jugs.jpg

cool pic! i like that! :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have just completed the OCLT test and am not losing FC overnight. One extremely obvious thing has just (belatedly) occurred to me- the bleach we can get here is only 5%. Obviously I adjust the Pool Calculator to that concentration, but I note that the bleach you can get in the US is 12%. My quantites are therefore going to be more than double, so I think that these large quantites are just what I need to use! Thanks to all who contributed. I will just jave to get truck loads in and keep on adding it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.