Protect Intex liner from rock with these!!!!

KimR

May 6, 2013
Paintsville, KY
I recently purchased 2 ton of river rock from a local stone supplier at $22/ton. But I was concerned about the Intex liner, since not all the rocks are perfectly round. I found some rubber pvc pipe insulation at Lowe's for $6.68 and my 24' pool took about 7 of them, which I cut in half. The rock in enclosed with red bricks. The measured distance around my pool was 75 feet. Thought about pool noodles but they fall apart too easy, besides the black rubber looks better! Here's the link to what I used:

http://www.lowes.com/Search=rubber+pvc+pipe+insulation?storeId=10151&langId=-1&catalogId=10051&N=0&newSearch=true&Ntt=rubber+pvc+pipe+insulation#!

Here's how it looks: https://www.flickr.com/photos/95691374@N06/14230318859/in/photostream7151303/in/photostream
Hope this helps!

That's a great idea... I would never have thought of that... Now you've got me thinking of using something like pool noodles all the way around the base of my liner of my rectangle intex pool....

I have been looking at 67mm thick white marine rope, but this could be the cheaper alternative to $22.50 a metre for the aforementioned rope.... :)

Thank you very much for this....

KimR,

Thanks!! we finished setting ours up and were trying to figure out the landscaping around it, best idea i've seen yet! now i need to find the rocks like you have....my local Lowes didn't have anything....they had 'river stone' or whatever but they were too sharp for my liking

nate

edit: i wonder if it makes a difference if i used the foam or rubber insulation...anyone have thoughts? i think foam is even cheaper. also why did you cut them in half?

I think the rubber will last much longer, foam (like pool noodles) will fall apart. I cut them in half to make them go farther and so they would fit under the edge of the pool better. The river rock I purchased does have some rock in it that aren't perfectly round, but as I shoveled the rock around my pool, I made sure to put the bigger, perfectly round rocks up against the rubber. Check to see if there's a rock quarry in your area that dredges the bottom of the river. We also hauled the rock ourselves which saved an $80 haul bill. $44 for the rock and $50 for the rubber= peace of mind and a nicer pool area. Hope you have a buddy to help with all that shoveling though... I didn't !!! ( My husband broke his hand at work or he would have!)

- - - Updated - - -

We sprayed some Round-up weed killer , then laid plastic sheeting down, then river rock.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.