Taylor Tech Bulletin for Storage of Reagents

MikeInTN

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 27, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Back a couple of weeks ago, there was a thread started about storing testing reagents in a refrigerator. I gave it a big thumbs up, because I've been storing my reagents in the "beer" fridge in my garage since I bought the kit, and never had a problem. Of course, there were some dissenting opinions, so I decided to go to Taylor and ask them (if you want a clear drink of water, go to the head of the stream). Wellllll, it looks like I'm eating crow dumplings tonight. Taylor sent me the attached bulletin, and recommended that I not refrigerate my reagents, as the sudden change in temperature from the refrigerator to the outdoors causes the reagents to deteriorate.

Hope this helps,
Mike

[attachment=0:3p478sem]Taylortechbulletin.pdf[/attachment:3p478sem]

Attachments

• Taylortechbulletin.pdf
    143.5 KB · Views: 119
Wow! Being a newbie, I mistakenly bought my test kit at a local pool store (next kit will be the TF 100). They recommended I store it in the fridge to make it last longer... Thankfully I didn't, I just keep it in my pantry (a cool dark place like the pamphlet in my kit recommended). Maybe I should print this out and take it to the teenager who sold me my kit... :hammer:

I just read the article and it's self contradictory. On the one hand they say to keep the reagents at an even temp 36 - 85 deg F and then say that the fridge will harm them - I think it may be a typo and they meant to say 'freezer' instead of fridge. Though it makes a lot of sense to not pull a bottle of reagent out of the fridge and then stick it in the blazing sun, it would seem that using the fridge then giving the bottle a couple hours to warm up inside would be acceptable before using the reagent poolside on a 90 deg day :idea:

Just my $.02 - and what do I know? :p

Another tidbit of info, specifically on R-0004 is this, "All Taylor indicators are formulated to suppress interference from chlorine or bromine up to 10 ppm when the indicators are fresh. The amount of suppression decreases as the indicators age." - p 11, Pool & Spa Water Chemistry Guide, Taylor Technologies.

One last item on the refrigeration issue, then I'll hush. Ever since I've stopped storing my reagents in the beer fridge and now store them in my house, my CYA readings have dropped by 20 ppm. Thinking that maybe my CYA reagent had gone south, I ordered a nice big fresh bottle last week, and it came in today. I tested my water this evening, and my reading is still down 20 ppm from when I was using refrigerated reagent. So, it appears that at least for the CYA test, refrigerating your reagent will lead you astray.

Reactions: SumOfOneInteger
MikeInTN said:
One last item on the refrigeration issue, then I'll hush. Ever since I've stopped storing my reagents in the beer fridge and now store them in my house, my CYA readings have dropped by 20 ppm. Thinking that maybe my CYA reagent had gone south, I ordered a nice big fresh bottle last week, and it came in today. I tested my water this evening, and my reading is still down 20 ppm from when I was using refrigerated reagent. So, it appears that at least for the CYA test, refrigerating your reagent will lead you astray.

Remember when testing for CYA with the pool water cold, they always say to bring the pool water to room temp before testing. Guess that rule goes for the reagent, too? :?

Butterfly said:
MikeInTN said:

Remember when testing for CYA with the pool water cold, they always say to bring the pool water to room temp before testing. Guess that rule goes for the reagent, too? :?

Evidently. At least it wasn't 40ppm off the other way, thank goodness!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
MikeInTN said:
Butterfly said:
MikeInTN said:

Evidently. At least it wasn't 40ppm off the other way, thank goodness!

Yes, it coagulates in the fridge.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.