HELP!! Numbers way off

Nov 12, 2007
Katy, Texas
Ok... Whats wrong with my numbers... What am I doing wrong?

Pool is 7 months old.
My ph swings up every 2 days. I have to add 1/4 to 1/2 gallon of muratic acid to bring it back to normal levels.
I can't keep my PH level, My TA is too low and I think my CA is too high.

Can someone please help with possible solutions?

Here are my latest numbers.

Monday 7/14/08
FC: 3
TC: 3
CC: 0
PH 7.6
ALK: 40
CH: 350
CYA: 35
SALT: 3600

Tuesday 7/15/08
FC: 3
TC: 3
PH: 8.0+
ADDED 1/2 gal M. Acid and Super Chlorinated for 24 hrs.

Thursday 7/17/08
FC: 5
TC: 5
PH: 7.6
ALK: 30
CH: 350
CYA: 35
SALT: 3600

Brent,

Looking back at your previous posts, it seems your problems today are the same as months ago. You need to keep your pH down with acid (regardless of how much it takes) and you need to bring your CYA up to around 60ppm per the manufacturers recommendations.

Am I missing a newer problem?

You have quite a few levels that are out of whack. You can find all the information you need in the Pool School articles.

1. Your CYA is too low. You are running a SWG and your CYA should be between 60-90. Check the guidelines for your manufacturer and make the adjustment. You can use the Pool Calculator to determine how much stabilizer you need to add.

2. Your TA is too low. You need to add baking soda to adjust it. Your low TA is contributing to your wildly fluctuating pH. Use the Pool Calculator to determine how much baking soda to add. Your TA should be between 70-90.

3. SWG's will make your pH rise. You will need to keep muriatic acid on hand to combat that.

Take care of the CYA and TA problems and you may see the problem with your pH become easier to control.

I suggest not bringing your Alkalinity to 100. Shoot for no higher than 70-90. With a new plaster pool, your pH is going to "creep-up" no matter what, because of the curing process. If your Alk is above 100, it will creep faster. Just my experience.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.