Get pool into shape

May 25, 2014
Tea sd
Hi, I have been reading a lot on this forum and I am attempting to get chlorine to stay up.

24' doughboy round pool
14000 gallons
Sand filter

Here are my readings

No chlorine
Ch 350
TA 150
PH 7.2
Cya 50
The water is crystal clear
I cannot keep the chlorine levels up
I have been putting Clorox in daily for the last week

What's next?

I have the Taylor 100 test kit

Thank you.

How much chlorine are you adding daily?

Are you losing anything at night? Tonight would be a prime opportunity to do an Overnight FC Loss Test to see if you have anything growing in the pool.

I would bring the pool to SLAM level right now and check it at 5am. There are only 2 things that consume chlorine and that is sun (which we eliminate in the OCLT and organics. If you lose FC tonight, you have critters in your water.

How much chlorine are you adding daily?

Are you losing anything at night? Tonight would be a prime opportunity to do an Overnight FC Loss Test to see if you have anything growing in the pool.

I would bring the pool to SLAM level right now and check it at 5am. There are only 2 things that consume chlorine and that is sun (which we eliminate in the OCLT and organics. If you lose FC tonight, you have critters in your water.

I would check the levels before I would go to work and add maybe 1 to 2 gallons of bleach. When I get home I check it again and it will be around 2-3ppm.

I'd let it sit overnight and the chlorine levels cc would be 0.
Other times the cc would be 1.5.

Basically the levels are all over the place.

I will take your advice, and do that today.

One other thing, what about changing my sand. Could I have algae in there? It would be the only place I could check?

Thanks.

I was doing so good.....until the rains came!
Don't get me wrong, we needed the rain.
I was monitoring the chems every hour faithfully all day. Chlorine was doing well. Now I have so much water that the pool is spilling over the skimmer.
I just checked my cya levels. It went down from 50 to 30. No chlorine either.

Do I need to bring my cya levels up, before adjusting for chlorine?
Doesn't this take a week?
So frustrating.....

Thanks for your help.

Any chance you have a layer of rain-ish water on top with lower CYA but the water closer to the bottom still has 50 CYA ? I remember seeing that a few times... maybe run the pump for a while and measure again, or find a way to take the sample from closer to the bottom of the pool.

IIRC the usual practice when doing a SLAM with 0 CYA is :

- add enough CYA to raise level to 30 and immediately target 10 FC
- after a day or so assume the CYA is there and bump FC level appropriately (12 IIRC).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.