Diving in...

Jun 7, 2014
Durham
Just recently won a long, drawn-out algae battle, and am ready to make the leap to the TFP method - so I don't have to fight that battle again. Full results from my new TF-100 test kit:

FAC: .5 or less
CC : .5 or less
TA: 110
CYA: 50
CH: 525 :eek:

This is all pretty well in line with results from my last visit to the pool shop, with the exception of the calcium hardness. My result is more than double theirs; maybe I botched that test? Unfortunately, the last step in the algae battle (with the pool shop), was a copper algaecide. Shop test results show .9ppm copper remaining.
So here's the big question: I'd love to start my first SLAM tonight, but I'm concerned about the copper level. Pool shop has always been very scary about shocking when I have Cu in there. Slam away, or deal with Cu first? Liner is vinyl - does that relieve some Cu/Cl concern?

Thanks in advance; I plan to be a regular here!

Welcome!

I'm not sure what Cu is but your CYA is 50 and your SLAM Is 20ppm. Your target after your SLAM is 6ppm and never to go below 4ppm.

Quick question though... Why are we SLAMing? Is the pool green and cloudy again?

And if you're concerned with copper, you can bring it down with water replacement. And don't use any more algaecides! :D

Thanks for the quick reply! Pool is still cloudy - slowly clearing over the past week since i replace cartridge with a brand new one. It also has not held chlorine at all. After conventional, pool-store shocks it would be back to near 0 by the next morning.
Sorry - when I said Cu I was referring to copper. Pool shop has always been hesitant about shocking/adding chlorine when I had copper showing up.

If you raise FC to slam level with copper in there like that, there is a risk of your water turning green. Clear, but still green.
THe only way to remove the copper unfortunately, is to replace water until the copper level is much lower. Somewhere to less than .3 if I recall.

There are copper sequestrants, but they are bandaids.

Most algaecides contain copper. Some heater plumbing contains copper.... pennies are made of copper.
Do you know how the copper got in there?

I say do it. We never trust any other pool store results, why do we suddenly trust the copper test? If the water turns green, you need a sequestrant. End of story.

A compromise would be to drain some water to both lower the CYA and the high CH (betcha they had you using Cal-hypo shock by the bucket) to 30ish and 300ish respectively and then SLAM.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Costly day to do my slam yesterday - very sunny. But seemed to go well. Only a trace of CCs this morning, but it did drop from about 22 to 18 FAC. I didn't beat the sun this morning, so some may have cooked off. Thinking of letting it settle in today, to let the kids swim for daughter's birthday. Thoughts?

Thanks to all for the guidance! I think I'm getting it "dialed in", and am thrilled with the results. Sparkling! Probably the clearest it's ever been. Full battery of tests this morning, and I'm happy. I don't think I've EVER had 6ppm of FC in the morning!

FC: 6
CC: 0
CH: 425
TA: 100
CYA: 55

Will upload after pix later; getting upload failures now...

Awesome! THanks for checkign back in.

the best way to post unlimited pics is thorugh photobucket.
upload pics to photobucket
click to full size the pics you want to post
On the right, is 3 lines of code
click on the code with IMG beside it. the code will be copied
come back here and paste the code.
The pic will show up when you post your message.

Cant wait to see them!

Hi Todd, Have you passed the Overnight FC Loss Test?

Can't wait to see your updated pics. It is very important, once you pass the Overnight FC Loss Test
that you keep your FC in line with your CYA as outlined here :lookhere: Chlorine CYA Chart. It will keep any and all algae away. :goodjob:

We hope you enjoy your trouble free pool this summer. That is our number one goal here at TFP. :cool:

"After" pix. Thanks for the photobucket tip, Dave!

@Casey - I have not done a true and honest overnight test yet, but I'm happy with my morning FC levels now. I will do it tonight. I'm a bit concerned about accuracy, for my pool, however. With the semi-wooded lot I get so much organic junk, even over night, I'm not sure I can get an honest result. But I'll give it a shot. I am also doing my best to adjust FC each evening, to keep it in the target range for my CYA.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.