Vacuum issues

Apr 27, 2013
Marcy, New York
I have an issue when I try to vacuum my pool. I drain all the air from the hose by placing the hose in front of the return port, no problem. I hook it up to the skimmer basket and get really good suction then my pump pulls so hard that when viewing
through the glass top, the water drains down and pretty much there is a heavy gush of water the size of the 2" pipe going through the pump. Is this normal? I stop because I don't want the pump running without enough water. Shouldn't it stay filled to the glass top?

No, it should not be doing that. Has it always done this or is it a recent problem? When you hook up the hose to the skimmer are you using a vacuum plate, or do you stuff the hose down into the skimmer pipe to the pump?

How long did you let it run before stopping it? Did you try releasing the air relief valve on the filter to see if that would purge all of the air? Even though you fill the hose with ware from a return jet, there can still be air in a line. Many times when I put my vacuum in and open the valve, I get air in the pump but within about 30-45 seconds the pump is then full of water. Sometimes I do bleed the air out via the air relief valve on the filter. It just depends on how bored I am.

I use a vacuum plate. I have had this problem before but I have also been able to make it work the right way. One thing I do though is leave the basket in. I'm not sure if that is right. I also backwash the filter often so it runs real good, between 6-10 psi. I've never checked the psi while vacuuming.

- - - Updated - - -

No, it moves freely.

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't realize there is an air valve, I'll have to look.

My Intex pump sucks the water level down in the inlet basket when I first begin vacuuming. It has not cavitated that I know of. I always have good suction on the vacuum so I don't worry about it.

As long as it doesn't cavitate, you'll probably be ok.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.