New Pool - No Chemicals Yet - Help!

Jun 13, 2014
Byron, IL
Just got our pool filled and the pump running, now I am not sure what to do. I know I need to add chlorine, but I don't know how much and the pool math calculator doesn't seem to like the 0 reading I put in for chlorine. Everywhere else I read says that I should shock it. I wanted to get advice here first. I just have strip tests right now but will order a test kit. Thank you!:D

Above ground 27' round 17,100 gallons. Cartridge filter and dual speed pump.

Welcome! :wave:

What does the test strip say for pH? They're usually fairly close on that test. You might need to raise or lower pH a bit to prevent eye and skin irritation.

With zero CYA, 2 or 3 is plenty high as a target for FC. So add whatever bleach it says to add, and then come back in and go to http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html and get yourself equipped for the rest of the summer. When the stores open tomorrow, go buy some stabilizer (CYA aka Cyanuric Acid) and add it using the sock method.

What chemicals to use and how to add them is here: http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/139-recommended-pool-chemicals

Thanks for all the quick responses! The test strip showed that the pH was actually acceptable. I have a starter box of chemicals from the pool store but didn't want to use the shock unless it was recommended here. I do have plenty of liquid bleach too. I also have some CYA and will add it with the sock method.

Remember, put your CYA in a sock and dangle it in front of the return jet and give 'er a squeeze every now and then. It can take it a week or so before it fully mixes into your water so don't test it until then. But once the sock is empty you should assume its at the level you want and adjust the pool math CYA field so you will then be adding the amount of bleach according to your new CYA level.

Thanks so much everyone! I tested this AM and pH is still good and free chlorine is at target now. The only thing is the TA is still high around 180. I read in the pool school articles that I shouldn't worry about getting the TA down unless I am having a problem with pH or with the CSI. I don't have a drop kit yet so I can't tell what the CSI is. Should I just leave that alone for now?

27' round above ground 17,100 gallons, cartridge filter, dual pump

Thanks so much everyone! I tested this AM and pH is still good and free chlorine is at target now. The only thing is the TA is still high around 180. I read in the pool school articles that I shouldn't worry about getting the TA down unless I am having a problem with pH or with the CSI. I don't have a drop kit yet so I can't tell what the CSI is. Should I just leave that alone for now?

27' round above ground 17,100 gallons, cartridge filter, dual pump
TA is what you adjust when you're bored and want to play with your Junior Scientist Playset. Unless you're at imminent risk of scaling or you're having to add acid every day to maintain pH, ignore it. You only need to know it to calculate acid dose for pH adjustment.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.