LifeTime Supporter
Aug 9, 2013
Pennsylvania
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Pool went in last Sunday, June 8th. Filled with public water since Monday afternoon. I have added no chemicals and nobody has swam yet.

Weather is finally cleared. Can I add something? I was going to get in with the kids. Add it before or after?

Also, going to be nice all weekend. Can we be the temporary mixers until Monday, when electricians come?

MermaidMama

18' Round x 52" Doughboy AGP
Powerline XP Pump 1.5 HP
Aquaview 20"Sand Filter
TF-100 Test Kit ~ 8200 Gallons

Last edited:
No Electric & Adding Chemicals

As suspected:

ZERO chlorine
TA- 90
PH- 6.8 (per TF100)
PH- 7.2 (per free tester from store)

I guess I need to figure out how much bleach? Is it safe to add it as much as I'm sure I'll need. I don't have a brush ?. Can I disperse with leaf skimmer? Should I get in to disperse?

I guess I'll worry about CYA when electric goes in, right?

Please help! ?

If I did it right, pool math says:

ADD 62 oz of 8% bleach

ADD 19 oz baking soda

ADD 51 oz borax

I don't know what to do? Should I just add some bleach for now?

Also, if I add 62 oz of bleach, should I get in and spread it around and use leaf skimmer to disperse.

HELP!

Re: No Electric & Adding Chemicals

I get just over a quart of 8.25% Clorox. What were you targeting? With zero CYA, 3 FC is high enough. Pour it in and stir things up with the skimmer or a brush.

Skip the baking soda, your TA is fine.

The low pH will need Borax. Go at it slowly. Don't add all 51 oz at once. Maybe 2 lbs. (32 oz) and recheck it tomorrow morning after the kids have mixed things well. Dissolve it in a bucket of water and slosh that into the pool to scatter it and then turn the kids loose. They'll mix everything up good.

Thanks so much Richard! I accidentally put 5 for FC target. I just changed it to target 3 and got what you said.

Ok! I don't have any borax, so I'll get up and run out in the morning and get that. Then get that added.

Thanks so much Richard! I accidentally put 5 for FC target. I just changed it to target 3 and got what you said.

Ok! I don't have any borax, so I'll get up and run out in the morning and get that. Then get that added.
While you're out driving around, don't forget to pick up the stabilizer. And maybe a brush head. And some pool noodles.

While you're out driving around, don't forget to pick up the stabilizer. And maybe a brush head. And some pool noodles.

Sure will!! Don't know how we didn't get a brush, yet we have a pool noodle in every color and size. Ha ha.

I added the quart and 5 ozs of bleach. Stirred it up with the net and swam some circles. Then the kids got in. We swam for like 40 minutes, so hopefully it was good. Guess we'll do the same the rest of the weekend. I can't wait til the electric is done.

So, I got this box of chemicals from the pool store right now.

Ortex Algae Pool Shock (says it contains no Cyanuric Acid)

Swimtrine Plus Algaecide (kills green and mustard algae)

Ortex pH Decreaser

Ortex pH Increaser

Can I use the pH Increaser to raise the pH instead of Borax, since I have it. I didn't even realize I had it.

Yes, you can use the pH increaser you have, but don't buy any more of it - it's overpriced washing soda/soda ash (sodium carbonate) with a fancy label.

Ortex Algae pool shock is cal-hypo
Swimtrine Plus Algaecide is a copper-based algaecide - it turns blond hair green, and you don't need this with the TFPC method. See if you sell it away on Craigslist or something to a clueless person.
Ortex pH decreaser is dry acid

See also Recommended pool chemicals.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

Test Results 9:00 am

FC: 1.5
CC: .5
TC: 2.0
pH: 6.8
TA: 100

Pool math says 19 ozs of bleach.

42 oz by volume of washing soda or 92 oz By volume of borax.

I am going to use the Ortex pH Increaser. Should I do the 42 oz that says washing soda then?

Also, if I'm measuring the pH Increaser by volume, do you just measure that in a big measuring cup?

Thanks for the help above, Abigail! ?

I HAVE ELECTRIC!!! I can finally get my pump and filter running. :whoot:

Here is the pool sample I just got:

TC: 0
PH: 7.5
TA: 140
CH: 300
CYA: 0

Here was my include chemical package items:

Ortex Algae Pool Shock (says it contains no Cyanuric Acid)
Swimtrine Plus Algaecide (kills green and mustard algae)
Ortex pH Decreaser
Ortex pH Increaser
Ortex Dichlor

My question is this... can I use the Dichlor I have for right now to get my CYA up to 40? If so, how do I figure out how much to use? (it's saying 37 oz of bleach) I just want to get all my numbers right. If I really can't use the chemicals they gave me to get the CYA up, I can get more/different stuff. I just remember reading the dichlor can raise the CYA, so figured I would use it. If it's going to mess something up though, I don't have to.
Also, a big THANK YOU :goodjob: for all the help I have gotten so far. I really am so thankful and am happy I found this site, loving your method, even if I don't have it down pat yet. I'm getting there. :lovetfp:

EDITED TO ADD: I was messing on Pool Math again and found the option if I add Dichlor, so I do see where I would put that in if I use that to add chlorine and get CYA up.

I guess my question is, should I use that or just stick with bleach and buy something else for the CYA?

Pump and filter are running!!!!

I think I am answering my own questions. Ha! Please confirm.

I am thinking I'll just not mess with the dichlor. I am going to add some bleach now at the return (37 oz to get to 3 FC). I know it's going to still get eaten up QUICK by the sun. I am running out this evening so I will get "STABLIZER" and add that tonight to get the CYA up.

Is there anything else I need while I am out. Also, I am going to try and get the liquid, if I can't and get powder, do I need to dissolve it in a bucket with water and add it that way or is it with a sock? Also, I know that is probably obvious, but when you say sock, what do you mean?

CYA doesn't dissolve quickly, so putting it a sock (yep, the kind that goes on your foot), tying the end off with a piece of string/rope and hanging it from a stick in front of the return jet is the recommended practice. Next best is to drop the sock in the skimmer. IIRC all of the other options are not recommended.

Go a little light on the CYA and test again in a week -- adding CYA seems to be the primary time when people find that their pool is smaller than they thought.

My thinking would be "if you already have the dichlor you might as well use it instead of buying CYA" *IF* you feel comfortable keeping track of both the chlorine and CYA you're adding, as well as a slight reduction in pH. For some folks that's an interesting challenge, for others it's an "OMG !!!" just waiting for you to mess up... and you probably know which you are :D

CYA doesn't dissolve quickly, so putting it a sock (yep, the kind that goes on your foot), tying the end off with a piece of string/rope and hanging it from a stick in front of the return jet is the recommended practice. Next best is to drop the sock in the skimmer. IIRC all of the other options are not recommended.

Go a little light on the CYA and test again in a week -- adding CYA seems to be the primary time when people find that their pool is smaller than they thought.

My thinking would be "if you already have the dichlor you might as well use it instead of buying CYA" *IF* you feel comfortable keeping track of both the chlorine and CYA you're adding, as well as a slight reduction in pH. For some folks that's an interesting challenge, for others it's an "OMG !!!" just waiting for you to mess up... and you probably know which you are :D

Thanks bridgman!

Wow, so put the cya in like a white tube style sock? It really is that literal huh? Ha. Yes, I can do that. The CYA IS the stablizer, right? So, I guess I'll see what I find tonight.

Being so new, I don't think I trust myself with the dichlor and monitoring them both. I'm sure I am capable, but I don't to want to mess it up, so I guess I am the second option and just focus on getting it right. :uhh:

Doing great! Just make sure you don't use a sock with holes! ;) You can use the section at the bottom of Pool Math "Effects of Adding Chemicals" to see exactly how much FC and CYA dichlor would add based on weight but if that makes you leery, keep at what you're doing. Keeping things simple in the beginning gives time for the mountain of information sink in and less stressful.

I saw Stabilizer at Walmart the other day. Should have grabbed some then. Oh well, I'm getting some this evening. I didn't look close enough to see if it was liquid or granular.

I'm thinking since the pool sat over a week with no power, I should just let the pump and filter run non stop for 24 hours.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.