Cheap, easy cooker - just doesn't seem right

tnthudson

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 31, 2008
Central VA
I had a thread asking what everyone was going to grill for July 4 ... some great ideas, by the way. I ended up using The Big Easy, a new cooker from Char-Broil.
My boss is really into grilling; I've been fortunate enough to inherit a nice VC propane grill and a Big Green Egg from him, so when he told me that this little (comparatively cheap) thing could cook some things better than the other 2 cookers I have, I couldn't believe it. I've since tried different things he's made (turkey breast, buffalo rib, etc.), and it does do a GREAT job.
I put bone-in prime rib in it on the 4th (rubbed down, of course) and it turned out very good, I was impressed.
Char-Broil has (mistakenly, I think) chosen to market this as a oil-less turkey fryer, which is true, but it can do alot more than the Thanksgiving bird.
Anyway, if anyone else has one and has any ideas/recipes, feel free to share.

:lol:
They're pretty cool, we make pellet stoves (heaters) and these guys are at the trade show we go to each year; I like their Lil Pig, it's a cool-looking idea for a grill.
And if folks aren't familiar with wood pellets, they don't know how darn hot the things can get, or how manageable the heat can be. Pretty neat product.

Yep, it's Englander (and a couple of other brands, but the same product).
You're talking to a Marketing guy, so what do I know about the way the stove works? :lol:
Just kidding, I don't know anything about Traeger's system, but we have a double auger system (one top auger pushes pellets out of the hopper, then they drop to a second auger that pushes the pellets to a burn pot, where a combustion blower forces air over the pot and creates the flame).
This last year, we've developed a single-auger that works on the same type of idea (with the combustion blower).
The control board determines how much air/fuel ratio is in the burn area, so you can get the stove REALLY hot, or lower it down to get more burn time. That's why I figure the grills are probably pretty neat, if they're adjustable in a similar way.

Yep, sounds identical. Traeger's use a single auger, the hopper is gravity fed. The digital control dictates the auger's movement to control the temp, generally within a few degrees. Less than 10lb of pellets can get me a full night cook. Plus they come in a variety of flavours.

Wow! You could probably get by with 10 lbs. of pellets in one of our stoves in a night (I've heard some of our tech guys quote maybe 1 lb. or so/hr. on low heat), but you can crank it up to 5 lbs./hour if you really want some heat.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.