Intermatic timer - dial popping out

I'm a newb to this whole pool owner thing so please be gentle :eek:

My new house/pool came with a T104-70 Intermatic timer on the pump (a Hayward 1HP Superpump). The previous owner had no trippers on the timer so I guess he just turned it on/off manually. I've installed a couple of sets of trippers (two blocks of time) and I used the green "on" trippers and gold off trippers. The timer is functioning (mechanically speaking) - the dial does turn and the pump is turning on and off when the trippers contact the switch. But each time the pump is turned on and off, the dial gradually pops out such that it stops rotating and the trippers no longer toggle the switch. This can happen in as little as 2 or 3 on/off cycles. Pushing the dial back in will get it working again.

I've asked google about this and haven't found a similar situation. Does anybody know why this is happening and if there is a simple solution? I'm considering just replacing the switch but it seems like there should be an easier (and less expensive solution). I've tried swapping out trippers to no avail...

The switch should be no older than 2002 or 2003 based on the age of the other bits.

Thanks in advance!

Sounds like the spring has gotten weak or the on off rocker needs a little grease. The spring is under the silver arrow that indicates current time. The on off rocker is under the yellow dial in the 6 o'clock position. I would start with a dab of triflow on the on off rocker under the dial (and work it in - switch back and forth a bunch of times). Then add a dab of grease, just a little dab.

It goes without saying turn the electric off at the breaker first.

Tri-flow eh? How did you know I was a cyclist?

On a working timer, when you pull the dial out, does it move back in under the spring's force or do you typically have to push it in? Mine has to be pushed in. A bit of lube could solve this.

Sounds like some good ideas. I'll give them a try.

Thanks.

Update... Put in a spring from another time that isn't in use and added some lube and it appears to be working. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

As an added bonus, I also fixed the slight leak in my pump by replacing the seal. I'm much happier with my pool now.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.