Canadian Open now Complete

Molson

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 15, 2008
Midland, Ontario
We competed in the Canadian Open 2 weekends ago and faired quite well, We placed 7th overall out of 27 teams. We were elated, we lost one member after last season and this year the two of us were doing it alone with all new recipes and sauces.

We also placed 2nd in the best booth competition with a Tiki Bar setup, see below..

(and yes, we also had a pool. We did employ the BBB method, though not like you are used to...Beer, Brisket, and more Beer)

2008_0706BarrieBBQ0031.jpg

That competition stuff seems really cool, I caught some episodes on TV of some American competitions. I just want to learn how to do pulled pork & brisket for my family & friends, that would make me feel pretty cool about actually using my grill & smoker for something other than fish & chicken! :oops:

I'll post up a pulled pork recipe hopefully tomorrow when I get some time. Its really easy to do, just takes time. (Like most BBQ)

Sean, the porta-potties were out of shot to the right, we also have a washroom in the RV.

Mmmmmm ... looks great, I may give that a shot, we've got people coming over Sunday.
Thanks Sean!
Molson, if you get a recipe on here tomorrow or Saturday, I'll take a look at it also. BTW, I love your screen name, I would have chosen Michelob or Red Stripe up until a couple weeks ago, now I swear I would have to contemplate Bud Light Lime! It's surprisingly good.

Only walked for the 2nd place booth. We were top 10 in all categories though. We walked last year quite a bit, got a GC at one of the event, and ended up with the Ontario Series GC. Which gave us the invite to the Jack. (And BOY was that a great time!!) Will be down there again this year, we're also doing the Best of the Best (The National) down in Douglas GA in Nov.

The Jack is my goal, to make it there. We have only been doing this for a short time (7 events), but we have had a walk in every event so far. We took RGC in a small local event that would have got us into the draw at the Jack. Lost to Jay and Monica of Otis and The Bird. They won the GC at Boulder City NV this year, so it is an automatic to the Jack, so they will be there again this year. They got a walk for Chicken I think last year. We took 10th overall with a 4th in Pork at Boulder, somewhere I forgot how to cook chicken. It was our first event outside of AZ, man it was interesting. Rain, Hail, wind, then sunshine, but it is all good. We have a lot of fun doing it.

Our other friends, Rhythm & Que (Vince and Alexa) have been really kicking butt, I am amazed how hard they work and how far they travel. But two GC's and two RGC in the last ten or so events proves to be paying off. Vince uses 4 WSM's for the meats.

Pretty impressive.

I'd say! I have a blast doing it, great people to be around, everyone is always helpful in case something is forgotton (Which we seem to do often). If I am not competing at the Jack, we'll be there anyway to observe and probably help our our sponsor, Smokinlicious. Its a great experience just to BE there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
One of the things I really like, is we do it as a family. My oldest has become our photographer (I always forget to snap the shots) and my box runner. I of course do walk with him, just to clear the way. :-D

Out here a lot of the events have a people's choice (a great way to get rid of the extra meats) and my 7 year old really shines there. Talking up the crowd and taking the tickets. My wife is great in serving the crowd.

My wife also sets the boxes and she is the go to girl for the anything butt catagory. She has picked up 1 first and 3 seconds with her turn in's.

My Q is improving and I continue to learn. The boxes are getting better and the product is improving. I love watching my boys get on stage and pick up the check and awards, it is really fun.

I'm sure you check several BBQ sites out, but I spend time on the BBQ Brethern site and AZbarbeque.com. I post under the same name there.

Best of Luck in your next events

David

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.