Standard Vacuum with Intex Ultra Frame (How To)

RonW84

Sep 14, 2013
I looked for some ideas on using a regular vacuum with my intex ultra frame pool and didn't really come up with much that I could do without ordering parts online. So here is what I did and maybe it will help some of you too.

I went to lowes and picked up the cheapest vacuum head, a 25' x 1 1/4 vacuum hose, and a couple PVC fittings. After that all I had to do was attach them together and my filter now powers my vacuum. I don't know what the PVC fittings are called but here is the pictures.

After attaching the fitting to my inlet on the pool filter I just feed the air out of the vacuum hose and attach it to the PVC fitting. It works like a charm and I no longer have to deal with trying to scoop the small particles off the bottom of the pool with the skimmer net. The whole set-up including an extender pole cost me about $65.

I hope this helps at least a couple people.

Thank you, was wondering if it were possible. Is there anything identifying on the label that says what it is that goes on the inlet? I had been considering trying to dimantle my over the side skimmer to use for a vacuum. Glad I won't have to.

That looks like a good part to have found that screws on the inlet properly. I already got the blue one from Intex and am using it it with an old vacuum hose and head from a summer escapes pool. My question is, how do you keep the big pieces of debris from falling back into the pool when you disconnect the vacuum from the inlet?

Everything I vacuum goes into the filter. The biggest thing I have in the pool at anytime is a blade of grass. Those get stuck on the screen to the inlet but the filter is still running so they stay there until I can pick them out.

I have the same hose and vacuum head but all I do is unscrew the blue over the wall skimmer adapter and stick one end of the vacuum hose directly into the pool intake after I use the return to fill the hose up with water. I only have a 16x48 so I can easily get the entire surface without pulling the hose out of the intake.

I have a ton of the orange fluffy things from our pine trees. Hoping to get the stuff today, and start vaccuuming tonight. I might vaccuum to waste as to jot make a mess of the filter. We have had a lot of rain the past week, it wont hurt.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Question: If I have visible sand on the bottom of my pool, wouldn't that clog my filter? I have 18'X48" Intex Ultra Pool, very new pool owner! Have the cartridge filter A. Thought I would need self-contained vacuum to get this off bottom. Also bottom very bumpy, poor landscaper used sand under pool. Suggestions? Thanks

I only have the 1,000 gpm standard pump. Does it work for this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I can get it to work but I have to move slowly.

PAGirl said:
Re: Standard Vacuum with Intex Ultra Frame (How To)

I couldn't get the union to thread on very far... Did you have any trouble?

Mine fits fine.

Jabo said:
Re: Standard Vacuum with Intex Ultra Frame (How To)

Question: If I have visible sand on the bottom of my pool, wouldn't that clog my filter? I have 18'X48" Intex Ultra Pool, very new pool owner! Have the cartridge filter A. Thought I would need self-contained vacuum to get this off bottom. Also bottom very bumpy, poor landscaper used sand under pool. Suggestions? Thanks

I have the same "type A" filter but I clean my filter after I vacuum... so no it does not clog it

My pump is not very strong so I have to move slowly but I have figured out that if i get in the pool and put my goggles on and use the hose without the vacuum head like a shop-vac I can get every grain of sand off the bottom. I would imagine the bigger sand filter would make a huge difference but Im not upgrading unit next season.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.