Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Solar cover question

1. Back To Top    #1

Solar cover question

I've been fighting cloudy water issues this season and I'm wondering if my solar cover might be the source (or at least part of the problem). I've never cleaned it and I read somewhere that bacteria or algae can grow on it when it's rolled up. How do you clean it and with what...or is it even necessary?

Thanks,
    Bill
    23K IG vinyl, Autopilot SWG, 1 HP Aqua-Flo Dominator Pump, 30" Cooper Ranger series sand filter, 1 skimmer, 3 jets, 2 fountains, 2 main drains.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Hi, and welcome to TFP!

Your cover should get rinsed off with chlorinated pool water each day when you use it, so any bacteria that might have grown while the cover was off and rolled up should get killed by the chlorine.

Post some test numbers for better help!

8000 gallon 20' x 48" round vinyl frame pool, 12" sand filter (don't have the specs on the pump), TF100 test kit
    Handy Links: PoolMath, TF-100 Test Kit, Pool School, CYA-Chlorine Chart
    "Shock" is a process, not a product!

3. Back To Top    #3
    If you shock your pool and cover it, your cover will clean on the underside - unfortunately, the top of it should be cleaned yearly - before storage.
    I just cleaned mine because of a bird problem - 3 hours of sweating/scrubbing and getting sunburned, just to have the birds come back 5 minutes later. I have since quit my job, bought a gun, a perch, suntan lotion and lots of patch kits because I don't have good aim......

4. Back To Top    #4

In the Industry
    Quote Originally Posted by matt4x4
    If you shock your pool and cover it, your cover will clean on the underside - unfortunately, the top of it should be cleaned yearly - before storage.
    I just cleaned mine because of a bird problem - 3 hours of sweating/scrubbing and getting sunburned, just to have the birds come back 5 minutes later. I have since quit my job, bought a gun, a perch, suntan lotion and lots of patch kits because I don't have good aim......
    Dave S. - Forum owner
    42k vinyl and concrete pool, 1.5hp pump, 140gpm filter
    TFTestkits , PoolMath , Pool School

5. Back To Top    #5
    I'm questioning the cover because my numbers are in good shape:

FC 13 (It's high because I took it up to shock level last night)
    CC 0
    ph 7.3
    TA 170
    CAL 250
    CYA 60

This is the third season with our 23,000 IG with vinyl liner. I use a 30" sand filter that I've been running 24/7. The water is kept at 84 and I'm using a skimmer sock. Today as of 1:00 pm, the water is almost back to crystal clear, but the FC has dropped 8 ppm in 16 hours.

I had this happen a few weeks ago where the water would go from almost crystal clear to cloudy (unable to see the drains in the 8' end) overnight. I raised the cl to 20 ppm for about 7 or 8 days and held it there until the cl drop was 0 overnight. Since then, I've held the FC between 6 and 8. Sunday night I went to bed after checking the water (6 ppm) and putting on the cover. The next morning--cloudy water and 1 ppm FC. We did get a lot of rain on Saturday and a few sprinkles on Sunday but all I noticed was an increase in the ph.

I've gone through over 100 jugs of bleach so far this season. Last season when the pool got into "balance" for lack of a beter term, I'd add a jug of bleach per day. However, I had a much higher cya (100). Seemed to work because the pool is in full sun starting at 11:00.
    23K IG vinyl, Autopilot SWG, 1 HP Aqua-Flo Dominator Pump, 30" Cooper Ranger series sand filter, 1 skimmer, 3 jets, 2 fountains, 2 main drains.

6. Back To Top    #6

100 jugs of bleach so far! now there is a good reason to get an SWG... I have gone through 12 gallons of bleach in 1.5 years and thats just opening and closing.