Mustard algae......

Jan 2, 2014
The Woodlands, TX
Getting ready to SLAM and then M.A. SLAM.

Pool is clear, all my readings are good. Overnight chlorine loss was good for 2 nights in a row, yet I still get yellow on my walls if I don't brush the sides at least every other day. Trying to figure out where my algae problem is residing and I think I've found the culprit.

If you look at the attached, it's the bottom of one of my 3 skimmers. Nasty. All 3 look like this. And the brown goes down into the pipe as well.

I'm guessing a combination of algae and other slime? Hard to get off, that's for sure. You can see where I've been working at it. Trying my best to clean it all, then start slamming.

I'm pretty sure the previous homeowner NEVER cleaned these.

Thoughts?

I don't think it's yellow/mustard algae. It looks more like a combination of grease/oil and bacterial biofilm. Those are hard to clean with chlorine alone though you can certainly try and see what happens. If it doesn't do the trick and you want to get it clean (because you could just live with it if it isn't creating additional chlorine demand), you can consider the last-resort products that are powerful surfactants for biofilm removal such as Ahh-Some™ for Swimming Pools at around $23 or AquaFinesse® tablets at around $50 (too bad they don't sell just one or two tabs). After you get this clean, then maintaining a proper chlorine level relative to the CYA level should prevent such buildup from occurring in the future.

The solution is adequate chlorine levels and circulation carrying that chlorine to the correct spots. I seriously doubt that small amount of debris is the cause of your mustard algae. Can you post test results?

I would up the chlorine level in my pool rather than start to toss in "magic ingredients" that are not essential for crystal clear water.

Will do after I'm done with my current SLAM at M.A. Level.

All were good in my most recent tests, other than my CYA levels which were still up around 60. I drained and refilled yesterday before my SLAM and I'm down to 45-47.

TA - 120
pH - creeps up.....but 7.5 before slam

Trying to figure out where my algae problem is residing and I think I've found the culprit.
If you have lights, did you pull and clean inside niche? That seems to be a fav location for MA to hide.

What is your pool type? Vinyl, plaster, FG? Please add this to your sig.

Also, what are your plans for the chlorinator? It is not being used at the moment, correct? You can save it to use for vacations once you get some wiggle room in the CYA.

Will add to the sig.....plaster.

Pulled all the lights and scrubbed. As well as the shallow to deep divider rope holders. Was a challenge to get a brush in there.

So much slime in the skimmers...can't imagine there wasn't some algae caught up in there too?

Haven't used the chlorinator in a few weeks. Will probably have to alternate, as I'm out of town an average of 3 days a week. Wife isn't interested in testing and adding liquid every day......

The brown might be iron stains. Try some vitamin C to see if the stains come off.

If the previous owner used tabs in the skimmer, it would oxidize iron and cause it to stain like that.

Do you have any metal stains?

Do you use well water?

No metal on the pool to speak of....except around lights and the rope holders I mentioned.

I know the pool service I had for a few months would drop a tablet in the skimmer once in awhile.

Not familiar with vitamin c except in pill or O.J. form.....ha. Where can I get it? Pool store?

City water.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The solution is adequate chlorine levels and circulation carrying that chlorine to the correct spots. I seriously doubt that small amount of debris is the cause of your mustard algae. Can you post test results?

I would up the chlorine level in my pool rather than start to toss in "magic ingredients" that are not essential for crystal clear water.

My FC levels have drifted down to more normal after my M.A. SLAM.

Most recent battery of tests are:

FC - 6.5
pH - 7.5
TA - 130
CYA - 45
CH - 175

Hopefully this takes care of the yellow walls!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.