Vetting Injection Pump Configuration

Mwjman1

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2012
Requesting some feedback on on my proposed Stenner Injection configuration. After too much time spend researching, the Stenner pump/tank combo just seems like an easy route to go. I am thinking a straight up 3GPD pump (less moving parts compared to adjustable unit and a less expensive), 7.5 Gallon Tank to treat my ~13,500 Gallon pool.

Scenario:

Pump is already on Intermatic Timer, controlling duplex outlet, which pump and Woods timer would plug into, runs for 10 hours per day on low speed (hardwired timer)
Stenner Injection on Woods Timer 50015 (Battery Backup Timer, set to run daily within Intermatic cycle)

Intermatic runs pump
Stenner will ONLY run when two condition are met:
1. Intermatic is 'ON'
2. Woods Timer is 'ON' (battery backup would keep track of time in case of outage, won't run if pump timer is not in 'ON' cycle)

Would love to get a new digital multiport programmable Intermatic, but the Woods solution is $20 vs. $200 for a new timer assembly. That will make a nice upgrade if/when the existing Intermatic ever fails.

All I should have to do is figure out how long to run pump per day and monitor...

Thanks in advance.

Requesting some feedback on on my proposed Stenner Injection configuration. After too much time spend researching, the Stenner pump/tank combo just seems like an easy route to go. I am thinking a straight up 3GPD pump (less moving parts compared to adjustable unit and a less expensive), 7.5 Gallon Tank to treat my ~13,500 Gallon pool.

Scenario:

Pump is already on Intermatic Timer, controlling duplex outlet, which pump and Woods timer would plug into, runs for 10 hours per day on low speed (hardwired timer)
Stenner Injection on Woods Timer 50015 (Battery Backup Timer, set to run daily within Intermatic cycle)

Intermatic runs pump
Stenner will ONLY run when two condition are met:
1. Intermatic is 'ON'
2. Woods Timer is 'ON' (battery backup would keep track of time in case of outage, won't run if pump timer is not in 'ON' cycle)

Would love to get a new digital multiport programmable Intermatic, but the Woods solution is $20 vs. $200 for a new timer assembly. That will make a nice upgrade if/when the existing Intermatic ever fails.

All I should have to do is figure out how long to run pump per day and monitor...

Thanks in advance.

The only very minor issue I see is that its possible for the filter pump to fail and the stenner could still be feeding chlorine. A flow switch could solve this, but again, its very minor issue.

Theoretically, the pump (or at least the mechanical parts like the motor and rollers) will last longer (due to shorter run time meaning less wear & tear), since Stenner pumps all use the same mechanical parts - the different pumping rates are from the different size tubings.
How long the tube lasts is a function of various factors including temperature, humidity, and UV exposure, so it may not necessarily last longer. However, replacing the tube is much cheaper than replacing the mechanical parts, especially the motor.

Theoretically, the pump (or at least the mechanical parts like the motor and rollers) will last longer (due to shorter run time meaning less wear & tear),
Yes but the current/power and RPM have an affect on motor life too. Heat is the biggest enemy of a motor. Peristaltic pumps generally use DC motors so you can change the RPM by changing the drive voltage. Lower voltage = lower RPM = lower power = lower heat so I would argue that although the motor runs longer, it is running under much less load and heat so I would expect it to last longer than it would if cycling it more often at higher RPM and higher power.

If I'm not mistaken the difference between the 3gpd and 10gpd is the tube. Rpm/current/power should reman the same. The only delta should be run time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes but the 10 GPD will still draw more power than the 3 GPD and generate more heat.

It isn't much different than pool pumps.

Stenner is installed! So far, working well, in monitor mode. Since I have the extra timer, I am currently injecting twice a day and tweaking as I go.

While the tank is of good quality, I don't like the fact that the Stenner tank is recessed near the fill spout - it holds water in the rain - mosquito breeder in the making.

It was sad to remove a 'like-new' LQ for the Stenner, but with my pump configuration and debris challenges, I think I am going to enjoy the Stenner.

Thank-you for all of the input.

The only very minor issue I see is that its possible for the filter pump to fail and the stenner could still be feeding chlorine. A flow switch could solve this, but again, its very minor issue.

You could get a current sensing relay. If the pump is not drawing a load nothing turns on. Someone on here has that type of setup to turn on SWG only when pump is on.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.