what valve for quad de 100?

Oct 18, 2007
Central Texas
these are the choices for valves - can anyone recommend one over the other? Multiport valves seems more common but also more problematic based on some of the related threads.

Product Description

261050 2 in. HiFlow valve, no plumbing
261165 2 in. PVC Slide valve for D.E. filters & sand filters
263034 2 in. ABS Slide valve
270100 Adaptor kit (for no valve assembly)

thanks.

With the Quad DE 100 there is no need to backwash, but if you are planning to backwash the filter it is really nice to have a multi-port valve with a rinse setting. DE filters tend to release the last bits of DE for a very long time. The rinse step prevents that DE from getting back into the pool.

The manual uses the term backwash but that really means remove the cartridges, clean them and recharge with another 10 pounds of DE. So you don't actually ever "backwash" a Quad DE; is this correct?

So why do they offer a multiport valve? Do I need it for anything?

You can backwash the Quad D.E., provided you plumb it in correctly. However, I installed mine about two weeks ago without any backwash valve at all. I used the #270100 kit that allows you to hook it up like a cartridge filter. When you do this, you have to remove the cartridges and hose them off. I did this for two reasons: 1 - My equipment is in a poolhouse closet and space was tight. 2 - I up sized to the Quad D.E. 80, so I should have some decent intervals between cleanings and I like the idea of getting ALL the gunk out of the filter. Yeah, you need to replace the D.E., but a 25lb box ($19) is good for three recharges.

I cleaned the filter for the first time a few days ago, just to get all the new pool crude out. This is my first pool and the manual is not exactly the best, but I was able to figure it out without too much effort. (Oddly enough, they make no mention of the fact that you have to replace the D.E. ofter cleaning the cartridges.) It took about 45 minutes. I think I could do it in under 30 minutes next time, maybe even 15 minutes if I get everything dialed in just right and have all the tools and supplies at the ready.

So far, no regrets going sans backwash valve.

Ponz

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.