Green Pool

Jun 9, 2014
Danvers, MA
Hi everyone,
Sorry if this is a double post.

This is my first year being in charge of the pool, and my ex husband recommended I come here. (Although everyone else is telling me to go to the pool store.)

I don't own a pool brush. I need to SLAM the pools ASAP, and I can order the Whale Tail brush on Amazon but it won't come till Monday.

Should I just go buy a regular brush instead so I can start the process?

Thanks!

For once, your ex husband was right! I'm just kidding as I don't know him but he is right! Welcome!

You can buy a brush at Wal-Mart, it doesn't matter. Do you have a good test kit? A TF100 will get you through the SLAM and the summer. Also read the ABC's of Pool Water chemistry in Pool School followed by SLAM'ing your pool. We also need a full set of test results please.

You sure can if you want to! It may just fade your suit but it's so much easier sweeping from inside!

OK, I just put the first dose of bleach in and gave it a good brushing. I'll run the filter on high for an hour and then turn it down to low. In about four hours I plan to hop in and vacuum, and will remeasure the chlorine then.

How many days does SLAM take on average? Or does it just vary?

:flower:

Welcome!

The length of SLAM is somewhat dependent on you and how aggressively you are with testing and additions. Chlorine testing can be done hourly and additions at that time if needed. Run the filter 24/7 and brush, brush, brush!

Sidenote: I wish my ex-husband would have been right about something.;)

SLAM times very greatly from a couple of days to more than a week, but the more frequently you dose, brush and vacuum will make this faster. Waiting 4 hours is too long and the algae will be able to regenerate itself when the FC levels drop. You need to stay ahead of its regrowth by keeping the FC levels at the shock level.

I don't have a multiple speed pump, so I can't give expert advice, but the more water that is filtered the faster this process goes. You should probably keep it has high level until you pass the 3 criteria listed here:
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/125-slam-shock-level-and-maintain-shocking

watch the pressure gauge. As you're filtering out all that crud it will rise. clean/backwash after a 25% or so rise over "baseline". I too would run that sucker on high 24/7

It's all dependant on how hard you SLAM it, with the M being maintaining. That is the key! Shock Level And Maintain. :goodjob:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
PS, the temp of the pool is 70 degrees, it's been raining. The filter is on high now and the PSI is 17, which is what it's been running at since we cleaned out the filter last weekend. I just added the 8 ounces of bleach and I'll check it again before I go to work 11:30.

Oh looks like my original message didn't come through.

I first added the bleach yesterday morning and last evening the FC was still 12.5. Checked it again this morning and it was only down to 11.5, so I added the 8 ounces of bleach. Didn't seem possible to me that the FC would have only dropped that much. But like I said the temp is 70 degrees, maybe that has something to do with it. Pump is on high as of last night.

So I seem to be keeping the level at 12, it dropped to 7 and to 8 today though and had to add, seems like that was too far to let it drop.

There's tons of stuff floating and no matter how much I skim it doesn't seem to improve much. I'm thinking that means that I have to spray out/clean the main filter? (The PSI has not increased at all and we cleaned it thoroughly on Monday.) Or could it mean I have a larger problem? Or is it normal?

EVERYONE is like GO BUY SHOCK, WHAT's WRONG WITH YOU?? Lol. So, why don't I just go buy shock??

KrisAnn,

I am an ex-husband and I am ALWAYS right lol.

The reason you don't want to throw shock into your pool is because all shock has Cyanuric Acid in it and will raise the cya levels in your pool. At 29 yours is at a good level. The higher the CYA the more bleach you have to add to get to therapeutic levels since the two work hand in hand. The more stuff you can get out skimming and vacuuming the quicker your slam will go. These folks won't lead you astray, they have helped turn some thick green swamps into shimmering clear pools. Just trust their advice and avoid the pool store like a diabetic should avoid a candy store!!!!

If you're getting in the pool anyway....

Run circles around the edge and get a whirlpool going and on one pass by the ladder, climb out. By the time it settles down, the debris will mostly be piled in the center. Simplifies vacuuming.

Ladders and stairs are notorious hiding places for algae, so pull 'em and scrub 'em if you got 'em.

Thanks guys!! My ex was OFTEN right, lol!

Thanks for the tip on the whirlpool and ladder, will do. And thanks for the encouragement to stay away from the pool store, need that as I'm getting contrary advice from all sides.

I ended up taking the filter cartridge out and it really needed the cleaning, so I'm glad I did. Still pretty green though, and been at it 48 hours now.

I am going to ask the others a question. Not sure of her pool size in gallons, but isn't 11-12 a low FC level for a SLAM?
What if the CYA measurement is off 10-20 or more, which is possible. Could it hurt to get the FC higher and just annihilate the algae?

Wildcat -

Kris mentioned a CYA of ~29 with a TF-100 kit - rounding off to CYA 30, SLAM is 12.
Richard could give you a list of green-to-clean threads which indicate that there isn't really a need to maintain FC above SLAM levels - the key is to Maintain and brush.
Kris also mentioned needing to clean the filter, and that it was last cleaned over the weekend of 7-8th June. This is indicative of progress - it means that the algae is being oxidised.

Kris -

As I mentioned, you ARE making progress even if you aren't seeing it in the water yet. You WILL get there if you continue to follow the process.
FC dropping to 7/8 means that you ARE killing off the algae - you can target slightly over 12 when dosing so that you don't go below, but do not go above 19 (Mustard level for CYA 30).
The key is to maintain FC 12 or higher.

Thanks everyone. I am going to target 12.5 then just to make sure, can't hurt.... The pool looks sooooo much better this morning, no more tons of gunk floating on top. I guess that filter reallllly needed that cleaning. Can't wait to claim victory with my clear pool!!! :)

I just wanted to jump in and point out that the people telling you to "just buy some shock" don't realize that shock *is* chlorine and so is bleach! The only difference is the powdered shock they are no doubt thinking of has other stuff in it (CYA/Stabilizer) which you already have and don't need more of right now!

Seems like you already know it but I just wanted to point it out. Since people tend to trust the pool store's advice and the pool stores aren't usually into educating people (a lot of times they don't even know) most people don't realize that bleach is the same thing.

I know I didn't. I remember last year before I found the forum, my husband said, "Why don't we just get bleach and put that in there? I think it's the same thing. It's just chlorine. " I was like :shock: "WE CAN'T DO THAT!!! IT'S BLEACH!!"

That was when I started googling and found TFP. Hah He was right. Go figure. It had to happen sometime. lol I guess I'll keep him. :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.