Can you over-Algecide a pool?

DonW

Jun 27, 2008
Central IL.
We have a new pool that I finally got finished and got the pump running & circulating this past Monday. While I'm waiting for the water to clear up (well water, went from brown to kind of a clear green) and come into its own, I've noticed that 2 or 3 kinds of water bugs have now found a new home. My wife refuses to go into the pool until ALL the bugs are gone. I've read from "another forum" that Back-Up algecide will eliminate our water bug problem.
Monday morning I added the stabilizer and that night hit it with 3 lbs. of shock. The next day I added 19 oz. of algecide & 38 oz. of stainguard. Wednesday I vaccumed and backwashed, (might have backwashed too soon).
So, can I muck up the levels of the pool by adding another bottle of Back-Up?
Pool is a Tahitian 18 x 33, 16,715 gal. w/sand filter & 1.5 pump.
This is our second pool, but with the first one we only had it for 2 years. Actually 1 month the first year and then one whole summer. That was three years ago. So in essence, I'm back on a learning curve and don't know or can't remember squat.

One of the gurus will be along shortly to add their opinion but if I were to hazard a guess, I would say that it is definitely possible to cause problems with overuse of algaecide. Many, if not all algaecide products contain metals and metals in high concentrations, although toxic to algae, will also cause severe stains in your pool. Copper is one metal commonly found in algae products and is particularly bad about staining and causing hair to turn green.

The best algae preventative is properly sanitized pool water with an approved sanitizer.

Yes, especially algaecides that contain copper. It can lead to high levels that cause staining AND green hair.

Since you are a relative noob with pool chemistry, I'd recommend some reading in Pool School....let us know if you have any questions at all.

Welcome!

Welcome! I'm fairly new here too. When I bought my pool (with house) this year, it was a green swamp. It had not been used in 2 years. Prior to that, the owner had used baquacil.

Anyhow, all I've used is bleach starting in June 2008. Clorox. It's gorgeous and clean now. Bleach kills algae. I followed the steps here, taking the chlorine level up to 15 ppm for a few days until it cleared. Now I just add 1/3 bottle per day (and test daily -- got a good test kit). I do have to brush the side walls every other day or so, and vacuum it weekly. I don't really want to swim in a bunch of chemicals, so the BBB (bleach, borax and baking soda) method really attracted me. My neighbors tell me that the pool is much clearer / cleaner looking than before. Also, the former owner drained a lot of water constantly. I don't.

My point is that you probably don't need to be adding all those chemicals. Others with more experience can tell help you more. Good luck.

Sue

Type of bugs probably depends on where you live. I live next to a wooded park with a river and pond, plus I own a small pond that's 15' from my pool. I don't have any bugs in my pool (other than dead June bugs and bees). I did see 2 bugs after I first got the pool cleared that looked like they were swimming. I just scooped them out with a leaf rake (net) and nothing since. If you do a search on this site, you will find some posts about bugs. Here's a thread:

backswimmers-help-t7643.html?hilit=%20water%20bug

Sue

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.