Quick question on flow direction

Charlie_R

TFP Expert
May 8, 2013
Mexico, MO
Until recently, I've had the water flow in my round pool going clockwise, that is to the left standing outside of the pool.

I'd had problems with floating debris gathering in the center, making me have to use the skim net to remove it.

Currently, I have the flow going counterclockwise, and not having the floating debris build-up in the center.

Either direction, it is about equal between the nearest return and the through-wall skimmer. With the fence around our yard and trees, wind direction & speed is extremely variable, and doesn't seem to be a factor.

Can anyone tell me why it would work better one way and not the other?

I'm not sure but I'd use it the way it best suits your needs!

The first thing that comes to mind is the Coriolis Effect. The earth is rotating at a constant angular velocity from west to east, but the linear velocity is different at different latitudes. At the equator a point on earth moves more during a given time period than, for example, a point at a latitude of 40 degrees. So, if an object that is nor firmly attached to the earth, such as some water, moves north (in the Northern Hemisphere), it will have a velocity towards the east that exceeds that of the ground below it. If it moves south, it will be moving west with respect to the ground. In the Northern Hemisphere that means a moving object will tend to go in a clockwise direction. In the Southern Hemisphere it will tend to go in a counter clockwise direction.

That is my first thought. I really don't think that is what is going on, but I don't have any better explanation.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.