Enormous inground pool that needs serious attention

Jun 13, 2014
Dix Hills, NY
We moved to this house 8 months ago. When we did the preclosing walk thru, the previous owner told us the heater (oil) wasn't working, there was an issue with the electric so the 220 pump couldn't run and he was now using a 110 pump. Both pumps were single speed and the filter was a Hayward DE 4820 with a multiport. There also seemed to be an issue with the robot vacuum. It was late August, 2013 so we used the pool for 2, maybe 3, weeks then closed it. We knew this spring we would have to spend some $$$ on fixing/changing, converting to saltwater, etc....

The pool is a vinyl inground, 18'x42' with a 20'x18' "L"....it is a tri-level, gallonage is approx. 50,000 gallons.

This is what we have picked.....

New Loop-Loc Liner.....
18’ x 42’ with 18’ x 20’ “L” Including:
• Removal of Liner, Re-Trowel Base of Pool, New Skimmer & Return Gaskets, New Faceplates
• Installation by Factory Trained Professionals (Licensed and Insured)

Aqua Plus PL-4 Salt System (two 40k cell system) with Automation. Installed with Salt
Hayward Tri Star VS Pump… Installed
InterFab Adrenaline Slide, left turn… Installed with footings and water hook-up

As it turns out, when we opened the Hayward filter, we found it was duct taped together, so we are changing the filter and upsizing it. the Hayward multiport was inspected and found to be good.

SO HERE IS THE QUESTION:

Which filter?

The pool company doing all the above (slide/liner change/salt/pump) recommended quad cartridge for the easier maintenance, so Hayward C7030 (which is $1400 with any replumbing and labor, but not including any parts) or if I wanted to stick with DE, then the DE7220 (for $1325, including labor, no parts).

We did have a pool in our last house, semi-inground, 18x32 with a SWG and a Hayward perflex bump DE filter, so I do know about the backwashing and we used aquaperl. But the pool here is 3x the size (gallons-wise) as my last pool! I am afraid to switch to cartridge for fear that this huge pool won't be clear enough. I did some internet research and see that Pentair makes a hybrid.... Quad DE 100 filter. Does this seem like a better choice? Pool company only does Hayward, so they didn't have an opinion on the Pentair, they could get it for me (they didn't detail the cost), but I'll assume it is in the same $1300/$1400 range as the Haywards.

Anyone have first hand experience with any of the filters I've mentioned? Any other constructive thoughts/opinions/critiques/criticisms are totally welcome....
I've got to make a decision by Monday.

thank you!

Welcome to the forum. :wave:

Larger pools seem to use more sand filters than anything else. You don't mention that as a possibility.

I do not have enough knowledge to comment on the types you are considering.

Welcome, and I hope you hang around.

While I don't have any direct experience with it the Pentair Qaud DE seems to have a good reputation online, as to the pump is there a particular reason for picking the Tri-Star VS?

at that size ... I would go sand. That said I have zero knowledge of the filters you are looking at.

Personally I prefer DE to cartridge if you are sticking with those 2 options.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.