Hayward LED Accent Lights review

Ryno98

Dec 27, 2013
East Texas
According to my PB, my pool is one of the first in the nation to install the new (released late spring 2014) Hayward LED Accent lights. These lights are a bit like miniature (1" diameter) versions of the standard Hayward Colorlogic lights. They essentially look like lightsaber handles for all you Star Wars geeks out there... The PB had niches (basically just open cylinders in the pool structure) incorporated into the design in my rock feature/waterfall (approx. 35 or 40 ft) and in a few strategic locations in the retaining wall around my pool deck. The lights have clusters of individual bulbs much like the standard Hayward LED lights, just crammed into a smaller package. They are apparently available in 2 brightness levels. The lights coordinate with all other Hayward Colorlogic lights and can also be "networked" for custom colors, although as of this review I'm still waiting for the network modules to be available/installed. Enough intro stuff, onto my impressions:

1. These things are incredibly bright, especially above water. It is really cool how they light the deck and rock features, but don't stare right at them or you won't see anything else for a little while. The ones in the retaining wall over the deck notably could use some type of "hood" to direct the light away from my eyes. As nothing like this is made by Hayward, I will probably just have to get creative.

2. The lights COMPLETELY transform your night time poolside landscape vs traditional low voltage lights or in-pool only lights. It seriously looks like some kind of bumpin night club up in here with the waterfalls, rocks, slide, and deck all lit up with the same color show.

3. Quality seems pretty decent. Of 12 or 13 lights, 1 was defective pretty much immediately upon installation with several colors not working. After some "percussion therapy", it has somehow started working. No problems with any of the others (about 1 month old now).

4. Not sure of the logistics of this and price comparisons, but I think it would almost be better to have about 8 of these spread around inside a pool instead of the typical 2-3 full size pool lights. Eliminate dark spots...

5. These seem destined to completely replace the older fiber optic light technology that people previously used to light waterfalls and things. My build was originally set up for fiber optic and luckily these lights came on the market in the nick of time and PB saw them at a trade show.

I will continue to report if I experience any negative issues with the lights.
Questions welcome!

Entire light:

i-rptpwKq-L.jpg

On face (installed in retaining wall around deck):

i-JRTzQMG-L.jpg

Installed in rock feature:

i-RFDbbCm-L.jpg

Lighting steps to slide:

i-TkKJWZ4-L.jpg

Lights!!:

i-fSF6LCV-L.jpg

i-7ZFBvXh-L.jpg

i-rQcJ2Kw-L.jpg

i-VQRcSHw-L.jpg

They look nice with the waterfalls going over them. I should have turned them on for a couple of pics but forgot.

Not sure exactly on price b/c we were initially quoted different lights for our build and then changed over "for the same price" when these became available. As an update, the Hayward people came out and removed the lights pictured above and replaced them with the network versions (essentially identical in appearance). The network version is stunning. I can now have all light zones (deck lights, pool, spa, waterfalls) coordinate with static colors or shows, or I can assign each zone a different color/program. This can all be done from the aqualogic remote control. It allows you to control the speed of the shows, use "motion" for a chase effect, and even control the brightness. I dial the brightness down on the deck lights because they tend to be blinding otherwise. These lights totally transform the pool area at night and I've never seen another build with anything like it. Highly recommend!

Oh wow those look fantastic. Do you have a photo with the waterfall and the lights on? Trying to decide on the whether to get the networked new Universal Colorlogic lights for the pool and spa and maybe these for our small water fall. Did you get the network light module? Do you know if you can easily replace these bulbs or if you need to replace the whole thing?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.