About to get a bulldozer

Jun 12, 2014
Cincinnati
Good evening all,

I am a pool owner for the last three years. We bought a home with an in-ground pool. We've had some bad luck. I got to Leslie's pool supply which is a franchise pool store in our area (maybe national) and the last recommendation was to drain the pool and refill it b/c we have nitrates. I did this. We then filled the pool and now seeing an algae bloom. I'm trying to kill it by shocking the pool every day with about 2 lbs of shock (15000 gals). It seems like it is clearing up a little but not as much as I would think. I read the SLAM article and it seems like I have been inadvertently doing that the past few days. Suggestions are appreciated. I feel very frustrated.

The pool is oval
32' x 16'
approx 15000 gal
liner
waste of money

Welcome to TFP!

I would suggest staying away from the Pool Store and purchasing your own test kit, namely the TF100 and give yourself and the pool another chance. You can read about the test kits here :lookhere: Test Kit Comparison.

Also, read:

ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry
Chlorine CYA Chart
Recommended Levels
SLAMing Your Pool (I know you read it but read it again)
PoolMath

Once you get your test kit and post a full set of test results, we can get you to loving this pool and not feeling like you should bulldoze it!

Hi, welcome to TFP! I have a few questions for you. What product are you using to "shock" your pool? How many packages of "shock" have you added? How long ago was it drained and refilled? Can you post a copy of some recent test results?

I also urge you to purchase a high quality test kit such as the Taylor K2006 or the TF100 in order to take control of your pool. When you are able to test the water yourself you will have reliable results and be able to balance the water as needed without buying armloads of expensive chemicals from the pool store.

Welcome! :wave:

Nitrates, huh? That's a new one. Or did they already sell you the phosphate remover and tell you that TDS was too high?

Well, congratulations. You've learned that that free testing ends up being pretty expensive. Would you like to spend some money and really get your money's worth? http://tftestkits.net/TF-100-Test-Kit-p4.html and the XL option. It's an investment. It will get you through the season and probably past opening next year as well. And you will never have to depend on the pool store experts to tell you what your pool needs.

Have had pool for years and been fighting it. My advice is to listen to these guys and do what they recommend. DON'T Slam your pool before you get the kit you need or you will end up potentially doing it twice... hold it at bay, get the kit and take the measurements. Use the pool math calc and post all your test info. From there, from what I have learned follow their instructions. BTW, if you are like me, you never really have shocked your pool, and shocking and SLAMing I am learning are two different things. Read and re-read the SLAM process and kill the algae along with anything else that may live in there.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.