water not flowing from air release (Cartridge Filter)

JohnH

May 28, 2012
Flower Mound, TX
Cleaned my buddies cartridge filter today, operated the system and open air valve for approx. 1 hr. I get no water flow from top of filter housing, just air. zero psi when air valve open, that's normal but when I close it I get good flow back at the returns and I get 10 psi at the gauge. It was 30 psi and very dirty before I cleaned it.

My question is it OK not to get water flow out of top when open? I guess the water is not reaching top of filter housing. But, like I mention above that I am getting good flow back at the pool, with no bubbles at the returns.

Picture below with valve open after 1hr, just air no water.
DawsonPool001_zps99486408.jpg

Picture below with pool running normal configuration, air valve closed.
DawsonPool002_zpsc1f42f80.jpg

Eventually, you should be able to purge all the air out of the filter unless the pump is drawing in a lot air. Is the pump basket, full of air or completely full of water.

The only reason I can see that the tube exists is, when enough air is introduced into the chamber that the water level gets lower than that little-screen-thing-a-ma-bob, air is then fed directly to the output of the filter which prevents the filter chamber from completely filling with air. It essentially only allows a limited amount of air build up. I think the more air you have in the chamber, the more "explosive" the decompression on shutdown and potential damage to pipes and seals. I'm not sure how the tube could cause your problem.

Shoot, I guess after work I need to reopen the top of filter and take a look. Maybe that air tube & air filter is clogged. I don't know what that is used for, because it's tide in with the inlet portion of the plumbing. This time I will take a picture of the inside and post. I'll also make sure the air valve itself is not totally clogged, but I am getting air out during operation:confused:

I hope the pump is not going bad, maybe it is not pumping enough water to top of filter housing! Wish I would of check for water flow top of filter housing before I took it apart, it might of always been like that.

The only reason I can see that the tube exists is, when enough air is introduced into the chamber that the water level gets lower than that little-screen-thing-a-ma-bob, air is then fed directly to the output of the filter which prevents the filter chamber from completely filling with air. It essentially only allows a limited amount of air build up. I think the more air you have in the chamber, the more "explosive" the decompression on shutdown and potential damage to pipes and seals. I'm not sure how the tube could cause your problem.
That's correct. The tube is for auto air purging but if working properly, it should reduce the air in the filter.

Somehow the filter keeps refilling with air. That is the problem. If the flow rate was reduced considerably, that might explain why the air remains in the filter but then I would not expect 10 PSI at the filter either. It is probably worth taking apart the filter to see if anything is out of place.

Also check the pump inlet for any collection of debris in the impeller.

"Also check the pump inlet for any collection of debris in the impeller."

A person at work thought maybe the impeller is clogged, he thought I should get more around 20 psi not 10. He said with a lot of trees and all those small black seeds collected that I found while cleaning the filter, it is probably all over the impeller. Maybe if I have time, I will get a o-ring kit from Leslie's and go in the pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, Started troubleshooting the filter today after work. I have it fixed:p
Pictures tells the story.

Took filter assy. apart again to check any bad installations. Found everything normal, so I thought I would do a flow check going into the filter bowl. Flow check good:cool:
DawsonPool001_zps06821dca.jpg

Installed filter assy again and removed the air bleeder assy.
DawsonPool003_zpsed834d17.jpg

We have flow:p
DawsonPool004_zps99fa9ba9.jpg

Found alot of trash inside air bleeder, good flow:p Granddaughter giving me the sign for, "good job popi":cool:
DawsonPool005_zps3fc48059.jpg

Granddaughter enjoying the sunset near buddies pool. I think she is happy that I'm finially done with friends pool.
DawsonPool006_zps752ac62c.jpg

Final test results.

water temp: 80
FC: 7.5
CC: 0.5
PH: 7.4
TA: 80
CH: 180
CYA: 55
CSI: -0.38

The only thing I might recommend, if PH stables at 7.4 - 7.5. Raise the CH to 250 - 300. So CSI will be in the middle band, -0.38 CSI says,"potential to become corrosive to plaster". But I might let the pool settle and see what happens next month before adding Calcium.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.