CYA TF100 Test and getting CYA up

Jul 29, 2013
I really don't like the disappearing dot. Is there not a cheaper more accurate method using drops of something like the other tests? last week or week before i seem to have tested CYA at about 40, added what should have brought up to 60 about 4 or 5 days ago. we have had a lot of rain, brought pool up from mid skimmer to just a hair over. now it tests at 30 or below.

AFAIK the disappearing dot test (melamine ?) is the cheapest & most accurate test available. Sometimes the state of the art is dismal :D

Have you run the pump a lot since the rain ? If not then you may have a layer of water on top with relatively lower concentrations of everything as a result of the rain. Also CYA might not all have dissolved in 4-5 days, general recommendation seems to be "wait a week before testing".

I haven't found an easy way to get TFT products up here, but the Taylor K-2006 (which you can get up here, and which I have) uses exactly the same test with the same reagent.

The local Taylor retailer ( http://piscines-apollo.com/cubecart/ ) doesn't seem to carry the standard solutions though.

This question gets asked a couple times each season, and i completely understand. It has a fairly good user margin of error, which can be a real pain in the backside. I am positive, however, that if an accurate drop based version existed, Dave would have it in the TF-100.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.

This question gets asked a couple times each season, and i completely understand. It has a fairly good user margin of error, which can be a real pain in the backside. I am positive, however, that if an accurate drop based version existed, Dave would have it in the TF-100.

Sent from my HTC Thunderbolt.
He is trying to find something. There is a different CYA test that uses tablets instead of the liquid reagent (although you still look in the tube), but he does not feel like he gets consistent accurate results with it. Too bad as the tablets would be a lot cheaper to ship than the big bottle of liquid.

Some use the dot test, some likely use a test strip. They are horribly bad at it though ... reporting 40ppm when it is 340ppm or reporting 40ppm on tap water which is 0ppm. Those are 2 actual examples.

I really don't like the disappearing dot. Is there not a cheaper more accurate method using drops of something like the other tests? last week or week before i seem to have tested CYA at about 40, added what should have brought up to 60 about 4 or 5 days ago. we have had a lot of rain, brought pool up from mid skimmer to just a hair over. now it tests at 30 or below.

I am in the same boat :) been trying to do the test for couple of seasons and I feel like I have not gotten a good reading yet..... it seems no matter how much stabilizer I add the actual CYA level in my pool stays at the same number (rising slightly) nothing to what the numbers actually suggest it should jump too. I think I just don't know how to read it :) but as long as pool stays clear I cannot worry about it anymore cuz I would be dumping hundreds of lbs of stabilizer :p

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.