Better and bigger ladder for bigger people?

Lymiss

Jun 12, 2014
Port St Lucie
Hi, my family and I bought a Intex 22f x 52 in last week. After being a little difficult to set up, we finally have it up and running...mostly. However we are experiencing a problem with the ladder that we did not foresee and now half of family can't use the pool. We thought we would have trouble with the A style ladder because of the weight limit but really we are having trouble with the size of the top step. The top step is very tiny and because the ladder is unstable, me and my mother can not get in. My little brother who is a healthy size 6-foot 16 year old even has trouble with the top step being small. Are there other ladders that have a bigger top step? I have been googling for different ladders but they all look to be the same and I can't build a deck or get anything expensive. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you looking for steps or a newer ladder/A-Frame?

We just upgraded to the Confer A-Frame pool ladder and couldn't be happier. Very sturdy and have no concerns about older people climbing and getting in. Well worth the money IMO. Quite a bit bigger then the one that came with the pool but it works wonderfully. Don't hesitate to but it, probably the best quality one out there.

Are you sure you can't build something like this?

[URL=http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/bcgeorge/media/pool%20pics/deck2_zps1bfb060c.jpg.html][/URL]

This was the first stage in the pool deck I'm putting together in small sections. Hand rail wasn't hard to add.

If you want, I'll guide you through building something similar.

Do note, the 4x4 posts are not in the ground, they are just sitting on it. Easily moved if I need to take the pool down.

The ladder is secured to the deck through holes drilled through the deck with a 2x4 underneath.

Are you sure you can't build something like this?

[URL=http://s1094.photobucket.com/user/bcgeorge/media/pool%20pics/deck2_zps1bfb060c.jpg.html][/URL]

This was the first stage in the pool deck I'm putting together in small sections. Hand rail wasn't hard to add.

If you want, I'll guide you through building something similar.

Do note, the 4x4 posts are not in the ground, they are just sitting on it. Easily moved if I need to take the pool down.

The ladder is secured to the deck through holes drilled through the deck with a 2x4 underneath.

This is exactly what i'm looking to do. I sent you a PM, not sure if it went through. Can you offer any help with building something like this? You can send me PM... Thanks!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
To save a bit of typing to multiple people, I'm going to put it in here. Apparently the new software doesn't automatically save sent messages, so I couldn't copy/paste.....

Cguzz, Welcome to TFP!

I'll start with a basic parts list for one section. Understand that these are actually a "throw together" from material I had on hand from several other projects, and are designed for a seasonal pool that may be taken down over winter. Sized for Intex style pools, 48" high. Sorry I don't have pics to go along with the instructions. Designed to be movable, and can be expanded by building more of these sections then filling in the space between them.

Parts:

All lumber should be pressure treated, since it will be exposed to weather and pool water.

2 4x4 8 ft
6 2x4 8 ft -- warning, you may need more or less of these.
6 5/4x6 8 ft deck flooring
5 lb box of 3"x9 deck screws

We will be putting this together in small steps, each building on the previous.

Start by cutting the 4x4s in half, so you have 4 4 ft pieces. Cut 2 of the 2x4s in half, for 4 pieces 4 ft long.

Screw one 2x4 to two posts, flush with the top of the 4x4, with the ends of the 2x4 flush with the sides of the 4x4s. The second 2x4 needs to be 6" up from the bottom of the 4x4s. Build two of these frames. These frames are sized for the length of 1 section of top tube of an Intex pool, and will be just a bit wider than the section of pool.

Here is where you may need more 2x4s. Determine how far you want this deck to extend away from the pool, and cut 2x4s to that measurement. I have a space restriction so I just used 4 ft for these as well, but you could go longer if you want. Screw these to the frames you just built, making sure the top 2x4 is flush with the top of the 4x4 and the outside of the 2x4 you already have on the frame. Same with the bottom 2x4, same height as the others, and flush. Measure the inside to inside between the 2x4s you just added. You will be cutting 2x4s for internal joists to support the flooring. If you went with the 4 ft basic dimension for the distance from the pool, you'll need 2. If you went longer, you'll need 3 or four depending on how far you went. Maximum distance between joists is 19". All should be equal distance between any two flooring supports.

Now you should be ready to add the actual floor to your deck section. You could use shorter screws, I find the 3" screws hold better. Two screws per joist in each flooring board.

Move the completed section to your pool, and level it.

For your ladder. If you have the tube frame ladder like mine, you can remove the legs from one side. Place the remaining side in the pool with the A frame loops sitting where you want them on the deck. Mark the placement, and note the angle that the loops have to the deck. Drill where you marked with a 1" hole saw at the angle you noted. Screw a 2x4 scrap to the underside of the deck to support the ends of the loops.

As you can see, this system is sturdy, mobile when you need it to be, and easily expandable.

I hope my instructions make sense to any who want to try this.

Good luck!

If you want to save the PMs you send, click on "Notifications" near the top right of any page. There will be a box called "my settings" on the left. Click on "general settings" and scroll through til you get to "Private Messaging". The last option should be "sent private messages". Click "Save a copy of sent private messages in my sent items folder by default" to turn on this setting.

I have the Confer A-Frame ladder, which is very sturdy - I wish it wasn't so high. I would rather that the height would be adjusted to the pool's actual size. I'm in my mid 60's and it is a bit of a climb and then I can see two yards over - and they can see me!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.