Replaced Liner now filling pool

Jun 12, 2014
Hauppauge, NY
Hi everyone, I am new to the pool world. Last year was my first year owning an inground pool (20 x 40) and let just say it was not a fun experience. I had nothing but issues balancing chemicals and dealing with algae, but that is beside the point. Tis a new year and I have just installed a new liner. Pool is being filled up and I had a few questions.

First, CYA when pool first fills up should be 0. My question is I know i need to get that to the 30 to 50 range. Can I just use the Trichlor pucks to add chlorine and CYA to the necessary ranges from day 1 or will I need to get the CYA up to the 30 to 50 range real quick. Once I get to the correct range I plan on using the BBB method so I don't run into a CYA issue down the road.

Question # 2 - I purchased the Taylor k-2006 kit last year around this time but never even opened the package to use. Is this kit still in good working condition or do the testing liquids go bad. Keep in mind NOTHING has been opened.

Thanks again for your answers, I am truly excited to have found this forum.

Good job on adding your info to you sig, but adding your specific gallons would help greatly so they don't have to calculate your gallons based on size

first, you could use pucks to raise FC and CYA, but they will also lower your PH, so you will have to be testing and raising ph along the way. If you already have the pucks, you could save them for anytime your going on vacation. If they are 3 oz pucks and your pool is 24000 gallons (an estimate) each puck will only raise cya by 0.5 so that would be a long road to get to where you want. If you really want to use the pucks up, add some stabilizer, establish it on the low end then go from there. As long as you are maintaining enough fc, keeping track of how many tabs your using and their effect on your CYA and you keep the PH adjusted, yes you can use them.

question 2 all depends on where it was stored. Temperature and sunlight have a greater effect on the test kit than just age. Dark and cool with controlled temperature its probably good. In a garage or shed with high and or low temps, with various temp swings week to week....questionable.

Thanks for the help,

My pool is approx 36,000 gallons. My only thought for using the Trichlor Pucks is the fact that I replumbed the Filter so I added a inline puck dispenser. The previous owner used to put the pucks directly in the skimmer.
I just didnt want my investment of a puck dispenser to go to waste. Perhaps Ill add stabilizer to get the CYA up to 30 ppm, then use the pucks until I get to 50 ppm then switch to BBB method (and use pucks only when I go away on vacation).

The Kit was stored in a hallway closet for a year so Im figuring it was in a decent location. Is there any way to tell whether its good?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.