No chlorine and clueless

Jun 12, 2014
Grafton, OH
Hi-
I'm a brand new saltwater pool owner, and I'm clueless.
I don't have one of the really good test kits yet, but here's what I can figure out from reading a test strip:
FC: 0 (I know this is not good.)
ph: 6.8-7.2
TA: 120
TH: 200
CYA: 30-50
Water was cloudy but pool techs came yesterday and did some things to it and the water is much better, not crystal clear, but I can see the bottom now.
I know I have to get chlorine in the pool somehow. It seems like I can just add bleach? Is that correct? If so, I have no idea how much to add.
I haven't figured out how to get my SWG working yet or I would just use that.
So, two main questions:
1. Do I just add bleach and if so, how much?
2. Is it safe to be in this water right now?
Thanks!

You can use the "pool math" tab on the top of the page. It will help tell you how much to add once you enter your pool size in gallons, and your now reading and your goal. You will also need to use the Chlorine / CYA chart.

Given that your test strip only reads in a broad range, that complicated things a little bit. I would try to keep your fc in the range of 4-6 and get a good test kit ordered. I would give you more specifics on amounts of bleach/chlorine, but I don't know what strength your using...take a look at pool math and try to learn how to use it. Ask questions if you need help

With a 26000 gallon pool, it would take 235 oz of 8.25 bleach to reach 6fc

With 30 CYA you should maintain 2-4 fc
with 50 CYA you should maintian 4-6 fc

http://www.troublefreepool.com/calc.html
http://www.troublefreepool.com/content/128-chlorine-cya-chart-slam-shock

- - - Updated - - -

Welcome to TFP. The fact that you are here at the beginning of your pool ownership bodes well. We teach the benefits of good testing and understanding the effects of chemicals.

The first step is to get your test kit ordered. We recommend the TF-100 from TFTestKits.net. Test strips and pool store testing are notoriously unreliable.

It sounds like you have been doing some reading in pool school. Keep it up! One of the most critical things to learn about is the relationship between CYA (stabilizer) and FC.

Have you checked out the PoolMath tab? This handy tool helps determine the quantity of chemicals to add. First configure "Suggested Goal Levels" in the bottom row. You should select TFP goal levels, vinyl, and bleach as the source of chlorine until you get your SWG working. Also set all the "Now" values going down the left column, including size.

Assuming CYA of 50, and using bleach (for now) your target FC is 8, your minimum FC is 4 and your shock FC is 20. This means you should never let FC get below 4. Since FC is consumed daily (by sunlight and organics in the water), you must add enough FC every day to ensure that it doesn't fall below 4 by the next time you add FC.

As an example using PoolMath, for your pool size, I get 314oz (about 2.5 gallons) of 8.25% bleach to bring your FC from 0 to 8.

It is not safe to swim in a pool with no chlorine, as there is no sanitizer to kill off pathogens.

I would be interested to know what the techs added to your pool. Is the 0 FC taken after they were there?

Given that your FC went to 0, you should now SLAM (how-to in PoolSchool)

I know it seems like you are drinking from the fire hose now, but if you stick with it, you will quickly be in complete control of you pool. Don't forget to use a healthy dose of POP (pool owner patience)

Is the pool new? Has any salt been added yet? If not you need to add enough to get to the level recommended by your SWG manufacture (usually ~3000 ppm). You can Use PoolMath for this as well.

If you don't have them you should probably add salt test strips to your TFTestKts order. While you're at it, add a SpeedStir also...you won't regret it.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.