Liquidator vs. Stenner pump vs. adding bleach manually to maintain FC

ec987

May 14, 2014
Lexington, KY
This summer, I've had to keep the solar cover on the pool as much as possible, as the weather hasn't been conducive to increasing the pool temperature to my liking (85F). It's sitting at about 75F right now. I have a solar cover reel, but it can be a bit time consuming for one person to roll up the cover, add bleach, and unroll on a daily basis. I was considering an automatic chlorinator so I wouldn't have to remove the cover at all. It's not a matter of me forgetting to add bleach on a daily basis, but more of a time factor. Also, we've been having a lot of rain lately, and the thought of spending all that time out there in a downpour doesn't appeal to me. If I had a quick (or automatic) way to add FC, that would be ideal, and it would maximize the time the cover is on the pool.

I guess this is kind of a stupid question, but if I add bleach straight to the skimmer (with the pump running, of course), would that be acceptable? Or should I invest in a chlorinator? I have a pretty good idea of the volume of bleach to ppm FC ratio for my setup. I can get ballpark, anyway. I've heard various things about dumping chemicals directly into the skimmer, which I guess I picked up mainly when I was still using pool store chemicals. :confused:

I'm not opposed to a chlorinator, but my Ecotech EZ is on a varying, timed schedule, so I'd imagine the Liquidator would be tough to regulate, and the Stenner sounds a bit more involved than I'd care to get, with adding a timer and such. I'm sure I could manage my way through it, but again, time is a limited commodity.

Thanks!

I'm a bit concerned about the solar cover. Bleach is more dense than water, though, correct? If so, then I guess I shouldn't be concerned about it harming the cover? Should I manually sweep the floor area of the pool, or will the return be sufficient in distributing the chemical? Sorry for all the questions. After owning this thing for 9 years, you'd think I would know a little more about how it works...

Thanks!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.