Pump Motor Fixed...Need Help

Jun 24, 2010
Oh my has it been something this year. Our pump motor died in March, then a relative took ill and moved in with us taking most of our time and extra dollars. With that said, our once lovely 22,000 gallon pool is now a brown smelly swamp. We have been getting the debris out as we have seen it, but you can only imagine the state of our oasis!

We got a new motor (finally) and installed it only to find quite a few leaks due to freezing over the winter. My husband fixed the leaks and we turned the pump on. UGH! He proceeded to backwash for what seemed like an eternity because we knew the sand filter was probably yucky.

Our pool has never been like this and I really don't know what to do other than shock using the methods here.

I know I need to continue to get all the debris out before putting in bleach or nothing will really work, right? Should I replace the sand in the sand filter before going any further? The sand was two years old this spring. I need to get a new PSI gauge as this one is shot.

Then do I just continue the shock process until we reach our goal of a sparkling pool?

Is there anything different I should be doing rather than backwashing when the PSI gets too far above normal?

We will be running a chlorine system this year as we also found out the salt system is not working properly and it will cost too much, quite frankly for a new salt cell this year. I managed last year with the methods here, but just don't know how to manage the current swamp.

I really want to be able to let the kids swim this summer, but wondering if there is any hope.

Thank you for your help. I appreciate any and all I can get!

:)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.