Help with pump timer and how long to run the pump?

May 31, 2014
Burlington, NC
Unbelievably, after 18 years of living here with this pool in the backyard, I believe that we have a timing mechanism on the pool pump. Don't have any clue how to use it and no instruction manuals handy. It looks like an Intermatic Mechanical Switch, based on the visual pool equipment information.

Question: how long to run the pump in Piedmont NC with full sun on pool most of the day? Don't know what "1 turnover per day" means from information in Pool School? And can you guess to tell me how to set the timer we have if it will, in fact, still work?

Thanks for the help!

There should be 2 little brass bits that attach to the circular part of the timer - one is on one is off.

Start with 4 hours and work your way up. Most folks find that somewhere between 4 and 6 gives them the water clarity they want.

Intermatic-timer-001-450.jpg

Thanks so much for the visual. Mine looks like that except for the ON OFF trippers and the other 2 little silver tabs at the top left that are unlabelled. My switch does not have those. Now what?

4-6 hours? Wow! We have run ours 24/7 all summer long for 18 years. Guess we could save some electrical costs, huh?

The other 2 silver tabs are on / off as well ( for setting multiple intervals.

Now it's just a matter of figuring out which is and and which is off. Sounds like time for an exercise in clock watching.

You can adjust the time by pulling the yellow part at you and rotating.

The on off bits move around the dial by loosening the thumb screws.

Make sure it is turned to off when you start experimenting. If it is in manual on mode the trippers don't work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.