Lowering water level in pool with cartridge filter

echo

Jul 30, 2013
western new york
After receiving a lot of rain the water level in my inground pool is a high ( above the skimmer opening) . I know most folks with sand filters have a waste line they can pump off the excess. I happen to have a cartridge filter. I was thinking it would be easy to remove the drain plug located in the bottom of the filter chamber and plumb it with a valve and pvc pipe to a downspout from roof gutters nearby. Does anyone see a problem with lowering the water level this way?

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you echo.

P.S. Can you please add your location to your profile and your equipment to your signature. :goodjob:

P.S.S. I just had to drain a lot of water off my pool this morning!

Good luck and let us know how it works out for you echo.

P.S. Can you please add your location to your profile and your equipment to your signature. :goodjob:

P.S.S. I just had to drain a lot of water off my pool this morning!

Will do.. hoping to do this project this weekend. I was also thinking of just adjusting the deck jets to blast the water away from the pool and into the lawn. ( which really won't need more watering since the only time I need to lower water is after heavy rain (unless I overfill when adding water by accident)

I didn't want to mess with the filter and PVC so I just drain with a submersible pump attached to a garden hose. I have a French drain in my back yard that connects to the city's storm sewer system and the water goes there. But there is the cost of the pump. IIRC it was about $50.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.