Believe I need a new pump. help

bce22

May 26, 2011
Good Day everyone. It has been a long time since I posted on TFP and I can use some assistance.

As of yesterday my current pump is starting to fail. When I power it on I hear a loud electrical buzz but no water flow. If I bang on it semi-gently it kicks in. I think the motor might be giving out.

I am not certain what manufacturer/model this pump is but if I had to guess it is a hayward super pump from years and years ago. The previous owners of the house spray painted it all black. It is a single speed pump for certain. When I replaced the cover for the basket in the pump I purchased a hayward cover.

My pool is a 21000 gallon 16x32 IG pool with a 250 Lb sand filter. I have one skimmer and one return. The pipes are 1 1/2 inch all the way around. The runs are relatively short. I think its about 10 feet from skimmer and maybe 30ish feet from return. I have no permanent high flow water features like waterfalls and spas. Sometimes I add a fountain directly to the return.

Does this sound like a problem that ca be fixed easily and cheaply or should I just purchase a new pump? If I was to purchase a new pump what should I be looking for? Any recommendations?

Thanks in Advance

Brad

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.