Electricians help needed. Installing a pool Heat Pump.

Jun 17, 2011
Hi. I believe this is my first post, so much information here. OK so here is what im doing. I just bought a Raypak 50000 btu heat pump for my 15' above ground pool. I would like to know some of the electrical components i need to buy. I wont be hooking this up myself, that job goes to my neighbour who is an electrician. Just to simplify things...

50000 btu raypak heat pump model 2350
208/230VAC
Minium circuit ampacity 23 amps
Maximum Breaker Size 35 Amps

The heater will be about 60' from the panel. From what i understand i need 8/3 wire and 30amp gfci breaker. Do i need a disconnect next to the heater or can i just run it from the panel? Do i bond the pool to the ground?

Thanks so much for your help.

your electrician, who should be familiar with the codes in your area can answer these questions. 8/2 wire will be fine. No need for a third conductor. You will need a disconnect near the unit. You do not bond the pool to the ground. You bond the heater bonding lug to the bonding grid around the pool and connect the circuit ground to the proper chassis ground in the heater.

While it's usually understood, you do need a ground in the power wiring to the unit from the breaker panel. That's completely different from the bonding requirement.

Also, you can buy 8/2 cable with and without a ground wire. Most places only stock it with ground so it's usually not a problem, but there are places that have it without. Just something to be aware of.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.