TA & Ph Problems

Jun 12, 2014
France
Hi all, this looks like a great web site. Im really glad I found it. Good luck to you all.

I live in France and I have an in-ground pool. Capacity is approx 50 cubic metres. I opened the pool later than normal this year as we have had a cool and very wet Spring. Of course, it was green. So I shocked it using a shop bought treatment. I had, at that time a cartridge filter set up. The cartridges were on their last legs. The cost of 2 cartridges (I interchanged them week about) nearly equated to the cost of changing to a sand filter based system, so I changed. The filter ha sregular sand in only. The pool gradually lost its algae green colour but has remained cloudy, but not a milky cloudy. I have tried floculant and shocking it again but I cannot get it clear. I filter it with the sand filter and also a robot which has 2 smallish cartridge filters onboard.

The readings have been weird. Ph this morning was bang on at 7.2 while the TA was at 212. The Chl was at 4.2. How can I get the TA down without losing the Ph level?

Thanks in advance folks.
Paul

Welcome to TFP!

How are you testing your water?

You aerate your water to increase your pH without increasing TA. Then you add hydrochloric acid to lower your pH and TA. Repeat until desired TA is reached.

Have you read Pool school, the ABCs of pool chemistry, and lowering total alkalinity?

N.B. I'm guessing from your username and location that you'd be more familiar with the term "hydrochloric acid" than "muriatic acid" -they are different names for the same thing.

Last edited:
Hi Abigail - and thanks for your response. I use an Aquachek tool for checking the water. It gives me FC, Ph and TA readings.

How do I aerate the pool please. I couldnt find anything on the site to show me that. Hydrochloric acid is fine for us here :)

I have read the pages from the Pool School but I was having difficulty figuring out how to lower the TA without having to lower the Ph also, which I obviously dont want to do.

Thanks again Abigail.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.