To Slam or not to Slam...

May 16, 2014
Sunny California
I posted 4 days ago that I was in the middle of SLAMing my pool when I ran out of 0871 reagent. Lesson learned. I kind of just let the pool be for the last 4 days, adding no chlorine and only running the pump a few hours a day.

I just got my reagent today, and my numbers are
FC 0.6
CC 0
PH 7.4
TA 70
CH 80
CYA 60-70

Should I restart SLAM now? Or just add enough to get me to a FC 7 for the morning and run an OCLT tomorrow night and see how that goes first? I know the sun zaps chlorine and we are reaching in the 100's this week.

How does the water look? Per SLAM instructions, you need OCLT, CC <0.5, and CLEAR WATER.

My first attempt at SLAMing, I skipped the OCLT and paid the price. That said, if you let it sit for 4 days already, if you fail one of the three criteria now, you're basically starting over anyhow. I'd say bring it up to target FC and run OCLT tomorrow night if you're water is clear.

Just my two cents this late at night. I'm sure the experts will chime in soon!

If you were in the middle of the SLAM when you took the hiatus, you need to resume it. You can't call the SLAM complete until all the criteria are met.

I was at the end of my SLAM when I ran out of reagent. After four days of leaving my pool alone, my CC is zero, the water is clear, and my FC went from 0.6 to 0.2 overnight. I was going to restart the SLAM this morning but decided to bring my FC up to the desired result and run a OCLT tonight and go from there. Part of the reason for this is why will be out of town for a couple of days and don't want to start another SLAM and not be able to finish again.

It sounds like you have a good plan. If you don't pass the OCLT then you will need to start the slam when you get back. You can raise FC to slam level before you go to kind of keep things in a holding pattern til you get back.

Do the OCLT and if you fail by losing more than 1ppm FC, resume the SLAM and cover the pool with a solar cover til you get back. In fact, if you will be gone for a few days, I would do that regardless unless you have other plans in place. :goodjob:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.