Power problems

recently had a hayward 3200vsp installed to replace a 1hp jandy stealth. Since installing the new pump the gfci in my basement keeps tripping randomly. I recall this only happening once last year, but since replacing the pump it happens regularly. It doesn't trip while priming or running at high speed. Seems to trip only when running at 1000 or 1725 rpm. *‎ My programming is 7-7 at 1725 and then 7-7 at 1000. *

When we first turned on the power it tripped right away because a wire was bent too much. Now, it runs fine for hours or multiple days between trips. * I've jiggled the wire while the pump is running but this didn't do anything. *

The pump is on a dedicated 15A breaker in my sub panel connected to a 30A gfci inside. There is also a switch between the pump and breaker (from the old pump). *One interesting thing was when it was first installed, I turned off the switch when leaving for work and when I returned the gfci was tripped. * Nothing else would have been on, just power was on. *‎

I thought it might be one of my other breakers in the sub panel, so yesterday I had just the pump and heater powered and it tripped. Heater wasn't on, it only had power for its clock. So far today, it's only the pump but it hasn't tripped (yet). *

Could it be the pump? Or heater? * ‎ Maybe it's just a faulty gfci in my main panel. * No breakers or wires have been changed yet. I'm worried the constant loss of power may cause damage, especially if my heater was running when it happens. * *I don't think it's load related as I've had the pump running at 2500rpm and heater on for over 8 hours simultaneously with now issue. Again, only happens when no one is there to see it!

Any ideas?‎

JasonLion - sub panel may not be exactly what it is called. But if I understand you correctly, I should replace the 1 gfci in my main panel with a regular breaker and then put in 3 gfci breakers in my outside "sub" panel? Any technical reason or just experience? My electrician didn't say anything about it.

The pool is about 8 years old (second owner) and that's how I got it.

Assuming that the 30 amp breaker in the main panel is a double pole breaker, I am surprised that you have not had problems in the past with it. You said that the panel with the 15 amp breaker is not a sub panel. Not sure what else it would be. Can you confirm that the breaker feeding all of this (30 amp) is indeed a double pole or is it a single pole. If it is a double pole, the reason it is tripping, is it is sensing a load imbalance across both poles and thinks that it is a current leak, thus tripping.

I just double checked, the main panel is a double 30 (so 60, no?). Outside, the pump is on a double 15A (only 1 lever but double for 240v) and the heater and outside outlets are all on separate 15A singles. (sorry, don't know the technical terms).

This morning, with only the pump breaker on (again, it's a double wide 15A) the gfci in the basement is tripped.

I will try to post pictures in an hour or so

I just double checked, the main panel is a double 30 (so 60, no?).
Nope, 30 amps

Outside, the pump is on a double 15A (only 1 lever but double for 240v) and the heater and outside outlets are all on separate 15A singles. (sorry, don't know the technical terms).

This morning, with only the pump breaker on (again, it's a double wide 15A) the gfci in the basement is tripped.

I will try to post pictures in an hour or so
Remove the 30 amp GFCI in the basement and install a regular 30 amp breaker. Install the GFCI protection in the box that has the breakers that control everything outside. GFCI's do not like to be feeding other GFCI's. Sometimes they work fine, other times they do not.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.