Lots of questions before my build

Jun 11, 2014
Brandenburg ky
Ok first off I have a customer wanting a outdoor kitchen with a build in ref. and possibly a roll out trash can. I plan on framing it out of steel studs. I was planning on using 1/2" cement board on walls and then either stone tile or porcelain wall tile available at lowes. I was also considering cement board for countertop and granite tile or possibly travertine tile or porcelain tile on top. I was considering wrapping the top with rubber over cement board to be safe. I don't see where anyone else is really waterproofing the countertops if they are being tiled. So this is why I am mentioning rubber. Has anyone tried this? And what about the walls? Will just cement board , thin set and tile be good enough to keep from water seeping threw? Any other tips anyone could throw my way would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

If you are worried about the water, just coat the whole thing in RedGuard or Hydroban before you tile. Like said above, treat it like a shower and you should be good to go. John Bridge Tile forums will have a lot of info on waterproofing if you have any questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.