New pool owner -- can't get chlorine up!

Jun 11, 2014
Monroe
Hello everyone,

I recently moved into a new house in Monroe, CT and it has a 40 foot in-ground pool. We opened the pool almost 2 months ago, and despite many trips to the pool store we cannot seem to get it properly balanced. Most importantly, I think, we haven't been able to raise the chlorine.

According to the pool store, these are our numbers:

CYA: 71
TC: .3
FC: 0
PH: 7.9
Total Alkalinity: 125
Adj. Total alkalinity: 104
Total hardness: 208

After the visit today, they gave me 6 bags of bioguard smart shock, 23 oz algicide, and 5 oz water clarifier. They told me the water would turn green with all the rain we've been having if I don't shock it today, so I did that. But, we have been shocking it weekly and have been using our chlorine feeder (as directed by pool company) and still have not been able to get the chlorine up, so I'm worried the same thing might happen after adding all this expensive shock today.

Does anyone have any advice on how to raise and maintain the chlorine and other levels? Step-by-step and simplified instructions would be really helpful because we are so new to this and I still don't quite understand all the chemistry involved in this! Thank you so much in advance!

Katie

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

Step-by-step and simplified instructions would be really helpful because we are so new to this and I still don't quite understand all the chemistry involved in this! Thank you so much in advance!
Here you go:
1. Order one of the Recommended Test Kits.
2. Forget everything the pool store told you and return all those chemicals if possible.
3. Read Pool School starting with these while waiting for it:
ABCs of Water Chemistry
Recommended Pool Chemicals
How to Chlorinate Your Pool
4. Post up your test results when your kit arrives.
5. Then we can figure out the next step.

The TF-100 is the best value, and sold by the owner of this forum. It has the same tests as the K-2006 but comes with more the the reagents you actually need so you do not run out as fast. I would suggest you add the XL option as well since you are going to have to SLAM your pool because there is something in the water.
If you want to have a great kit, add the SpeedStir as well, no one has ever regretted it, but I understand all this is a good chunk of change. But, with it and us, if you avoid the pool store sales pitch once, you will likely have saved enough money to justify it.

The TFPC method is really just about understanding your pool’s chemistry and through accurate testing, adding only what the pool NEEDS and not what someone wants to sell you. We do not recommend blindly adding chemicals like the pool stores often do. We have a process that always works to clear up a pool called the ShockLevelAndMAINTAIN Process. That is what you are going to need to do once you have a kit.

Hi! So I was able to pick up a test kit, I ended up going with the taylor 2006 just because I could get it here the fastest. Here are the test results I got --

FC- .6
TC - .6
pH - around 7.2 or 7.4
Alk- 150/160 (it turned a light light pink at 150 but didn't turn red until 160)
CYA - around 65

The cloudiness did go away -- we shocked it that day the pool store told us to, and added some bleach last night because it had gone back down to 0. It is totally clear now but the chlorine is still coming up low. Any suggestions for how I can get the chlorine to maintain a higher level?

You need to SLAM the pool and stop babying it. If you want the chlorine to go up and stay up, you have to add it. You also need to perform an OCLT found in Pool School link.

As I mentioned earlier to another member, think of the pool like a puppy. Would you feed a puppy 2 times a week? No... you would feed it daily. A pool needs fed daily.

You need to SLAM Process using the FC/CYA Chart to figure out the required FC level and using PoolMath to calculate how much bleach is needed at each testing and dosing.

Your CYA is a little high, but manageable.

BTW, use a 10ml sample with each drop as 0.5ppm. Also, order more FAS-DPD and CYA reagents now as you will run out before you complete the SLAM.

You are on the correct path with the good test kit. I would order the reagents talked about above as you are going to need them with what you have coming up with the SLAM.

You are going to love the TFP way! Don't even think about taking anymore of your money to the Pool store LOL. Their "free test" is not so free after all! Good for you for taking over your pool!

Kim

Okay, so I need to add enough bleach to raise it to the shock level (around 28 according to the chart). As I am understanding it I would shock it to 28 and then test it early the next morning, and raise it with some bleach if it is not yet to FC of 5 (recommended level for my CYA), then I would continue to test/adjust throughout the day and perform the loss test at night. If it doesn't pass -- I just shock it again and start over until it passes the test and has CC of .5 or lower?

Then, after the slamming is complete, should I expect to have to add some chlorine to the pool every day or should my chlorine feeder take care of most of that? Will that only work if I lower my CYA level to around 30 or 40?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to waste my time doing this the wrong way.

No. You need to maintain it at shock level until you pass the 3 criteria that say you can stop. At the start you should test and adjust every 1-2 hours.

You can not use the feeder any more. Your CYA is already too high. Only bleach from now on.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Okay, so I need to add enough bleach to raise it to the shock level (around 28 according to the chart). As I am understanding it I would shock it to 28 and then test it early the next morning, and raise it with some bleach if it is not yet to FC of 5 (recommended level for my CYA), then I would continue to test/adjust throughout the day and perform the loss test at night. If it doesn't pass -- I just shock it again and start over until it passes the test and has CC of .5 or lower?

Then, after the slamming is complete, should I expect to have to add some chlorine to the pool every day or should my chlorine feeder take care of most of that? Will that only work if I lower my CYA level to around 30 or 40?

Sorry for all the questions, I just don't want to waste my time doing this the wrong way.

First, you need to add bleach or liquid chlorine to raise it to shock level. How much will depend on the strength. Generic store bleach can range from 3%-6%, the stronger clorox stuff is usually 8.25% and the liquid "shock" from the pool store, ollie's or other stores is 12.5%. Pool Math will tell you what you need.

1. Run your filter 24/7 throughout this SLAM process.
2. Add the required bleach slowly in front of a return to the pool.
3. Test after sundown (at least 1 hour after adding) to see that you are at shock level.
4. Test in the AM before sun hits the pool to compare the FC/CC levels.
5. Repeat adding bleach throughout the day to shock level if you didn't pass the OCLT and repeat the next evening.

For maintenance after SLAM is complete, you will NOT want to use the feeder as the "pucks" add CYA which will increase the amount of chlorine you need. You should continue to test and add bleach daily until you get a feel for your pool, then you might be able to check every other day. I would keep the feeder in, as you can use it for vacations if you watch the CYA.

We LOVE questions! It is the only way to really know you understand.

You need to KEEP it at your shock level according to your CYA as much as possible. NEVER let it get below your minimum FC level for your CYA.

After SLAM in complete (you have passed the OCLT) you will want to add some chlorine to the pool every day OR night. I dose at night because I like the idea of the chlorine being in there all night long to do it's thing without worry of the sun taking any while it works.

Each chlorine tab will add some CYA ( about 2ppm). That WILL add up in time. If/when your CYA gets too high you will have to drain some of your water to get the CYA level back down.

I like to give myself some wiggle room with my CYA do I can use the tablets when I go away for the weekend.

SOOOOOOOOOOO..................If at all possible use liquid chlorie/bleach. Feed your pool every day or night. Swim and have fun!

Kim

We LOVE questions! It is the only way to really know you understand.

You need to KEEP it at your shock level according to your CYA as much as possible. NEVER let it get below your minimum FC level for your CYA.

After SLAM in complete (you have passed the OCLT) you will want to add some chlorine to the pool every day OR night. I dose at night because I like the idea of the chlorine being in there all night long to do it's thing without worry of the sun taking any while it works.

Each chlorine tab will add some CYA ( about 2ppm). That WILL add up in time. If/when your CYA gets too high you will have to drain some of your water to get the CYA level back down.

I like to give myself some wiggle room with my CYA do I can use the tablets when I go away for the weekend.

SOOOOOOOOOOO..................If at all possible use liquid chlorie/bleach. Feed your pool every day or night. Swim and have fun!

Kim

Thank you all for your help! We will try slamming the pool, and if we have any questions I will be back on here. Thanks again! Enjoy the weekend :)

The best price on chlorine that I can find around here ( northern Connecticut) is at Ocean State Job Lot. They sell Austin's Pool Shock 12.5% gallon jugs for 2.99. Just make sure they are fresh.
Follow the advice you get here and soon you will have sparkling clear water:

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.