Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
We have a brand new pool. Yay!

We had pool school on Tuesday and the filter was turned on. 500 lbs of salt was dumped in, as well as some shock and stablizer.

That was about 36 hours ago. The filter has been running constantly since then. The SWG output was set at 40%, we bumped it up to 60% a couple of hours ago. The SWG light that indicates salt is low is lit. I would just assume that more salt was needed, but the aquacheck test indicates that the salt is about 3500 ppm, which I understand is right where it should be.

We don't have a test kit, just test strips. The strip indicated that FC is either 0 or 1. pH is 7.2 and total alkalinity is 150.

Should we put more salt or shock in or should we just wait to see if things settle in?

Thanks for the advice.

25000 IG, Vinyl
Cartridge filter
Seacoast, NH

You need to raise the chlorine, and you need to know how much CYA you have. If you have algae starting, your chlorinator may not be able to keep up. It also may have problems keeping up if your CYA is low and sunlight is consuming most of the chlorine the generator produces.

For 25,000 gallons, it should take over 700lbs of salt to get the level at 3500ppm, but it's pretty normal for pool builders to not have a clue what the volume of a new pool is. I'd add 5 or 6 gallons of bleach to get a reasonable amount of chlorine in there long enough for the SWCG to catch up.

Check your SWG manual and see if there is a way to calibrate the salt sensor. If that doesn't solve the low salt issue get the builder to come out and look at it.

In the mean time you need to add chlorine manually.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.