Question on CYA

Jun 11, 2014
Hayward,ca
I have taking my pool samples to a pool store and they tested my cya and told me not to use tabs, to use liquid chlorine,well I took up a pool service and they installed a chlorinator with 5 3in tabs, so ask about what my pool store had told me, well the guy said that it was like 70ppm and that the tabs won't raise the cya that much only if you use it for the season and liquid the rest of the year. Question is he right! and how can i test it and how much ppm does the tabs raise the cya, is there a calulator for the 3inch tabs, the service is coming every other week to test and chemicals, thank you.

:wave: Welcome to TFP!!!

You are going to have a problem. You are trying to mix pool store advice, with a pool service advice, and now with our advice (which is going to be different than both, although surprisingly similar to the pool store).

All tablets add FC and CYA and lower the pH. The more you use the more the CYA is going to rise. How much FC (which is consumed) and CYA (which builds up) each 3" trichlor tablet adds depends on your pool's volume. You can use PoolMath to find out what each 8oz tablet adds. The path you are on is not sustainable.

BTW, 70ppm is already way above our recommended level. If you want to take control, get one of the Recommended Test Kits and read Pool School.

CYA

Merged by moderator. Please do not ask the same question in multiple threads, especially after I already answered you ;) Thanks, jblizzle

just started pool service they are using 3in tabs, i always take pool samples to a pool store for testing and they check my cya, they say that it is 70ppm, so don't use the tabs, well the service is using them, I asked the guy about it and he told me that the tabs won't raise it that much as long as we only use tabs for the season, question is how much does the tabs raise the cya and is there a calulator this, thanks

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.